Sunday, March 27, 2011

Bangkok Part 1

Departure 3/24

After a crazy hectic day at school, which consisted of a 1/2 day Mother's Day assembly/party and a 12:15 dismissal I went to the bank so I could be financially prepared for my trip.  I got home did some cleaning, laundry, got packed, studied some Arabic, and rested for a bit before Susan and I left for Abu Dhabi. 

Our flight was scheduled to leave at 9:55pm so we left Al Ain at 5:15.  We got to the airport around 7 and no problems checking in.  Susan did discover that the flight was over booked and she was going to see if she could get bumped to business class.  No such luck:(  I did get an exit row seat with a ton of leg room.  It was wonderful! 

Our 9:55 departure turned into an 11:00 departure.  A lot of waiting.  I think I was pretty much up all night; I may have slept for an hour or 2, but I did get to watch Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows I.  Great movie!  Not the best screen to watch it on, but I still enjoyed it!  Can't wait for part II!

Arrival 3/25

We arrived in Bangkok about 8am and waited forever in immigration.  There were so many people in line and the process was taking so long I thought we were going to be there until our 2pm check in time.  We eventually made it through immigration and I got my 4th entry stamp!  Susan had requested a car from the hotel to pick us up at the airport.  We found the driver and got into a very spacious car with water, a cold towel, and breath mints.  I was totally surprised because they drive on the other side here!  That was a very weird feeling to be sitting on the right side of the car behind the driver.  We arrived at the hotel, the InterContinental, at about 11am.  Our room was ready so we were able to check in!  I was starving, since I didn't eat on the plane.  They served dinner around midnight.  I just can't eat at midnight.  So, I went to the lounge and had a delicious bowl of vegetable soup and an orange juice.   After my breakfast/lunch we headed to our room for a nap!

Feeling refreshed and clean we headed out at about 3pm.  We walked to a nearby Hindu Shrine where there were many people praying and offering incense and flowers to the god depicted in the shrine.  If someone had received an answer to a prayer they either bought something (mostly elephants) or paid some women to dance as an offering.  They dancing was pretty neat, but they really didn't look all that into it.  While there I was talking to a lady who was telling me what I needed to go see; The Grand Palace and the weekend market.  Those were both on my list.  In fact the weekend market was scheduled for Saturday. 

When the incense began to burn my eyes Susan and I left and just walked the streets.  The sights, sounds, and smells were just a bit overwhelming.  There were many stands set up where you could buy street food.  The meat was raw and sitting out in the sun so I didn't have any of that, but it sure did smell good when they put it on the grill.  I got some corn, which was amazing!  The corn was fresh off the cob and cooked in some buttery sauce and then mixed with sugar.  It was delicious.  We continued to walk around this little bazaar and found that you could even buy your underwear there!  We headed to a nearby mall where we stopped at NaRaYa (a very popular Asian store that sells all sorts of handbags).  I spent 715 Bat (about $30) and got a bag, travel bag, and a wallet.  With our shopping finished for the day we headed back to the hotel. 

We went to the Ambassador Lounge and had appetizers and drinks.  As members of the Ambassador Club we upgraded for this option which includes breakfast, tea time in the afternoon, and cocktails at night.  After a long day of traveling and site seeing it was time to turn in!


Weekend Market 3/26

What an experience!  The day started with an early morning breakfast and then the train ride to the market.  The train ride was something!  It was packed and people just kept squeezing on.  It's amazing how many people can squish together.  As we neared the market, I could see the rows and rows of stalls from the train; they just seemed to go on forever!  We walked through a very nice park to the entrance of the market.  It wasn't all that crowded at 10am, but somehow I knew that wouldn't last!  I didn't think it was that hot either, but again I knew that wouldn't last either!

Susan and I walked through the myriad of stalls and bought many souvenirs.  I'm not quite sure how much I spent, but it was less than 2,000 Bat (about $70).  They had everything from statues of Buddah (I bought one), to underwear.  There were even pets for sale!  The puppies were so cute!  I would have loved to buy one.

The food was another experience altogether.  There was squid eggs, chicken legs (not what you think - actual chicken legs), some sort of live shrimp flopping around in a bucket, tons of fruit, and great Thai food.  We stopped at the food tent where I had fried noodles with PORK!  It was delicious!  Sitting in the food tent was an experience for all the senses.  The language is something totally different; glad I'm not learning this one!  Not sure if I'd ever be able to write it, let alone speak it.  The smells of the food made me want to try everything or throw up.  I enjoyed sitting there taking in the sights, sounds, and smells. 

As the day wore on it got hotter and more crowded.  I was dripping in sweat, even though it was overcast, as I squeezed past mobs of people.  We eventually reached a point where we both had had enough and were ready to leave.  I know we didn't see everything the market had to offer, but I did get a lot of good souvenirs.  We made our way through the crowds and back to the train station.  We got onto an empty train and headed back to the hotel.  The train didn't remain empty for long; by the second stop we were squished like sardines.  We squeezed off the train at our stop and headed across the street to our hotel.

Once back at the hotel we changed into our suits and headed to the rooftop pool.  It was very breezy up there and the water was cold so there was no swimming for me, but it was so nice to sit there with my feet in the water.  That definitely helped the swelling and cooled off my feet.  After a full day it was nice to relax by the pool and then the lounge.

The Grand Palace 3/27

I will start this out by telling mom and dad not to be freaked.  I traveled by myself today and I lived to tell about it!  Susan had already went to the Grand Palace when she was here in December so she didn't want to go again.  She gave me very good directions on how to take the train and the water taxi. 

After breakfast (which included BACON!) I headed to the train station.  I walked to the next train station, Siam, so I didn't have to change trains.  It was a nice walk by their skywalk.  I succeeded in buying my ticket for the train and waited in line for the next train.  The ride was very nice; not crowded at all.  I even got to sit down.  I got off the train and headed to the water taxi.  Now, that was a nice ride.  A lot to see on the river.  Temples lining the river and a lot of beautiful 5 Star Hotels.  I was tempted to get off at Chinatown, but I didn't.  I did get off at the wrong stop, but it worked in my favor because I got to see some pretty neat things and talk to nice people. 

I got off the water taxi at the station for the Reclining Buddah instead of the Grand Palace.  But the Reclining Buddah was amazing!  Check FB later for pictures.  It is huge and gold.  I walked around that Wat for a while and looked at some pretty neat stuff.  Once I left the reclining Buddah I took a tuk-tuk (not sure how to describe this; it's like a taxi but not a car) to the Grand Palace. 

Wow!  Huge and beautiful.  Lots of Buddhas, and intricately decorated.  The Emerald Buddha is the main attraction and I must say that there is no reason it shouldn't be.  It is amazing!  Tiny, but beautiful.  It sits upon a very high throne which is surrounded by gold and flowers.  The Emerald Buddha is made of jade (weird) and the king is the only one allowed to touch it.  It has 3 outfits; one for each season (summer, winter, and rainy) and the king changes the outfit.  I walked around the Palace and took tons of pictures of the statues of the Buddhas and the dragons and monkeys.    The grounds were beautiful as well.  I saw some very old bonsai trees.  I tried to take in all the sights, but there was something different to look at from each angle.  A lot of statues and thrones.  After walking around for a bit I headed back to the hotel.  I decided to take a taxi instead of the train.  This was fine.  It was more than the train and water taxi, but not much (maybe 50 Bat).  It was just easier than trying to find the water taxi station by myself. 

I got back to the hotel and Susan was waiting for me.  She had planned our evening.  Tonight we are going to Chinatown, to a Wat (oh, that's a Buddhist Temple), and then to the night market.  It should be fun. 

I will write more later and post pictures on FB when I get home.

1 comment:

  1. Sara, I am so happy you are having such awesome adventures! I'm not jealous that you went to SE Asia, but I am SO JEALOUS you had *bacon*! I want bacon!!! :)

    ReplyDelete