Monday, May 16, 2011

The Joys of Missing Work

لا ذهبت إلى مدرسة اليوم و ذهبت إلى المستشفى و اريد أنام.

I did not go to school today and I went to the hospital and I want to sleep.  (la thahabto ila madrasa alyoum, wa thahabto ilala mustashfa wa oureedu anaam).

No worries about me going to the hospital.  It was nothing serious.  That's just where you have to go here.  They don't have doctors offices and if you miss work you have to have a doctors note.  I just don't know how to say all of that in Arabic. 

I left work yesterday with a headache which somehow evolved into an upset stomach.  I woke up this morning feeling like I was going to throw up.  Now, I typically would have went to work and worked through this issue but given the water and bathroom situation at my school I figured it was best to stay home.  Just in case I did throw up, I would be somewhere that had a decent bathroom and consistent water.  So I stayed home.  

This is the process for missing work in Abu Dhabi.  I had to call Andrea, the faculty head, and email the vice principal.  I probably should have emailed the principal as well, but I don't know her email.  The worst part is actually going to the hospital.  I mean for an upset stomach come on, but that's what's required here.  So I arrived at NMC (New Medical Center) at 11:00 and waited for 1 1/2 hours for a 5-10 minute check up.  She even asked why I was there.  I told her that I missed work and I needed the paper.  She smiled, laughed, and said she understood.  Now that I have the doctors note I have to get it "stamped", but I'm still not sure where to go for that.  Ashley has one that needs to be stamped as well so hopefully we can go together.  So, when I would have liked to just lay in bed and do nothing I had to get up, dressed respectfully, and spend 1 1/2 in the hospital.  Oh well. 

I also think I just needed a day off.  Things have been quite frustrating at work with Andrea and I needed a break which is why I convinced myself to go through the entire process.  Just a day at home away from Andrea.

So now I have the rest of the afternoon to relax and veg!

No comments:

Post a Comment