Wednesday, November 2, 2011

حديقة الحيوانات - Zoo (literally animal park)

Another surprise field trip.  Well, the first for this year, but it reminded me of last year's surprise trip to the zoo.  I had no idea I was going until this morning.  I found out the girls were going yesterday, but I wasn't sure I was going.  I didn't know what would happen since I teach both 3rd and 4th grade.  I had to go and ask Hamda, the social worker, and she said that I was going and that we would be back in time for me to teach 5th period.  Oh yay!  I would get to go to the zoo and teach!  I was quite excited!  Notice the sarcasm?!

The zoo wasn't that bad, other than the heat.  We got there and the girls went to the education center and had the same presentation on teeth as last year.  Interestingly enough I didn't understand any more of it this year than I did last year.  I guess I did know the animal names, but that's about it.  The woman doing the presentation showed the girls some skulls and they thought they all were lion skulls.  I must tell you that one was kind of small, it was a skull of a leopard.  But they wanted it to be a lion.  She showed us a zebra skull and the girls fist guessed lion and then someone guessed frog!!  That got a laugh! 

After the presentation we boarded the train for the tour of the zoo.  The girls excitedly pointed out every animal as we drove past it.  There are tons of monkeys and gazelles.  The white lion was quite interesting, but we didn't stay long enough to really see it well.  The zoo is supposed to be getting a white tiger, but right now just the lion.  We walked around the bird house and then had about 10 minutes for breakfast.  A breakfast that consisted of chips, candy, chocolate, cotton candy, and ice cream.  Yummy!  It's a wonder these girls have teeth (although some don't) and aren't extemely over weight.  Diabetes is a huge problem here though.  The girls scarfed down their "nutritious" breakfast and then we headed over to the bird show.  This was interesting.  They had some very well trained birds.  One played basketball, one matched colors, one picked up trash, and one flew through a hoop (ok that one wasn't all that impressive, but the others were neat).  The bird show ended and we went outside for playtime.  There was a jungle gym type thing and a bunch of bouncey houses that the girls could play on.  By the time it was time to go the girls were hot, sweaty, tired, and thirsty.  So we stopped at the concession stand where they could buy water.  But did they get water?  No, they got more junk!  Surprised?  Not me, not anymore.  We boarded the bus and I heard more complaints of "Miss hot, want water!"  Well of course you want water you just played outside in the sun and then bought candy.  Oh well.

We arrived back at school to find the gate closed and locked.  So we sat there on the bus while the driver honked and honked waiting for someone to come and open the gate.  We must have waited there for about 10 minutes.  All the while I was thinking there are many other solutions to this problem.  1. Use the other entrance.  2. Let me off the bus and I will walk around and get someone to open the gate.  3. Call the school and have someone open the gate.  4. Call the security guard to open the gate.  But that's a main issue with the people in this country; they don't know how to think.  There is only one way to do something and if you can't do it that way you have to wait.  Terribly frustrating. 

The rest of the school day was fine.  4th grade was waiting patiently with a bus lady for me to get back.  I only had them for 2 1/2 periods so we didn't get much accomplished.  Well, honestly we don't get much accomplished in the afternoon anyway. 

Eid break is coming up, just one more day.  I found out yesterday that we only get 3 days off instead of the entire week.  Not a very nice birthday present.  I'm not sure why we only get 3 days off, every other emirate is giving the entire week off.  I'll be anxious to see how many students and Arabic teachers show up.  I know there are a lot of LTs that have vacation plans for the entire week, so they won't be back, but none of us at Ammoryiah are going away for Eid. 

My birthday was yesterday.  I didn't do anything.  I celebrated in Dubai last weekend and I'll be going to Dubai again this weekend.  It's not good when your birthday falls in the middle of the week.

It's 3:30 and I am exhausted.  That's what happens when you spend the day out in the sun and heat.  I need a nap, but I know if I lay down I won't be able to sleep tonight.  It will be an early bedtime for me tonight.

91 degrees with 29% humidity yuck:(

No comments:

Post a Comment