Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Sight Seeing in Al Ain

So here I am updating my blog again!  I know some of you are about ready to have a heart attack, but I have the time so why not?!

We had a pretty relaxing morning at the apartment and didn't leave until around noon.  Mom likes to sleep in when she's on vacation!  No problem.  It's nice not having to rush around in the morning.  I like hanging out in my pjs and having a cup of coffee:) 

Our activities for the day included the camel market, Bawadi Mall, Jebel Hafeet, and a trip to the post office (I know not all that exciting, but necessary:).

Oh the joys of the camel market!  I tried to forewarn Mom and Amy about the men there, but I'm not sure they really knew what to expect. I told Dad I was going to stay by him and let him protect me.  Poor Amy.  She truly experienced the joys of the camel market:(  She did get some good pictures though!!  Since I had been to the camel market 2 times before I didn't see the need for any more pictures, but Mom and Amy got some nice ones.

After the camel market we headed to Bawadi Mall.  The camel market is located right behind the mall so we didn't have far to go.  I needed to get contacts and Amy needed a book as well as some souvenirs.  So we walked around the mall for a bit and everyone commented on how nice and big and clean it is.  They do a good job of keeping it clean.  I will not be taking them to Jimi Mall, as it isn't as clean and always super crowded.  I don't like that mall so that's why I drive the 1/2 hour to Bawadi instead of the 10 minutes to Jimi. 

View from Jebel Hafeet
From the mall we headed to Jebel Hafeet.  I had warned them of the mountain road and the way the locals drive on the mountain road so they would be prepared to see some crazy driving, but no one was on the road.  I am quite thankful for that, but I kind of wanted them to see the way the locals drive. It's something you just have to experience:)  The drive up the mountain was very nice and we got to see some nice views even though it was a sandy, hazy day today.  We got to the top and had juice at the Top of Jebel Mountain cafeteria and restaurant.  We had our juice outside, which may not have been the smartest thing due to the blowing sand, but it was not too hot so we thought we would enjoy it.  We're pretty sure we got a ton of sand in our mouths.  It's just unavoidable, even if you keep your mouth shut.  So now they have experienced rain in Abu Dhabi and a sand storm (pretty mild one) in Al Ain.  What other weather will they experience?!

The last stop for the day was the Al Ain post office.  Mom needed to mail some postcards and I had received a call telling me I had a package.  The highlight of going to the post office was that they got to see the clock tower roundabout that isn't a clock tower or a roundabout.  Amy took a picture and I will have to get that one from her. 

Dinner tonight will be a truly American meal of hamburgers and macaroni salad, along with leftovers from Al Noor.  OK that isn't all that American, but the burgers are:)

Tomorrow we are headed to Dubai to visit with Cindy and Sarah and get some laundry done since she has a dryer.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sara,
    I'm a friend of your mom's and I've been checking your blog since you started writing it! I didn't get a chance to chat with your mom before she left, so tell her Sue Porter says hi, and I'll call her when she gets back!
    Keep writing, you do a great job!

    ReplyDelete