Thursday, November 1, 2012

Shocking

Every week we have a spelling and mental math test.  The students have been trying to memorize their multiplication facts and we're on the 8s now.  For the mental math test I call out a problem and they have 5 seconds to write down the answer before I move on to the next problem.  This has caused quite a few issues with parents because I am going too fast.  I have tried to explain that this is mental math and they have to know their facts quickly, but it's kind of met on deaf ears.  Anyway after our mental math test this morning Suhail rewrote his story and then just sat there, which is very unlike him.  Usually when he finishes he is the first one to be on the computer or find a game to play.  As I was working with someone at his table I asked him what the problem was and he said he was fine.  I told him I didn't believe that and if he wanted to talk about it I would listen.  He just sat there.  I asked him if he was angry and he shook his head no.  I asked him if he was sad and he almost started to cry.  I asked if he wanted to talk or go to the bathroom.  He got up and went to the bathroom.  Here's our conversation when he came back.

Me: What's the matter Suhail?
Suhail: I only got 8 right on my mental math.
Me: No problem.  8 is good.
Suhail (almost in tears again): I was thinking and I couldn't get number 6 or 7.
Me: Don't worry about it, it's ok.
Suhail (a few tears trickle down): My mom say I need to get 10 out of 10 or she hit me
Me: Your mom will hit you if you don't get 10 out of 10?
Suhail nods and more tears trickle down.

So this is very shocking.  What do I do with this information?  I know in the States I would have told the counselor, but here it's kind of allowed.  And there really isn't anyone to tell.  I try to process this information before talking to Suahil.

Me: What do you think we should do?
Suhail: I will try again
Me: Well, Suhail, if I let you do the 2 that you missed I will have to do the same for all the students because then they will all start to cry when they don't get them all right.
Suhail: No, I will write them all again
Me: You want to take the whole test over?
Suhail: Yes
Me: OK

Aside from the fact that his mom is creating in him a perfectionist attitude I enjoyed this conversation for a few reasons.  One - the mere fact that I was able to have this conversation.  Last year it wouldn't have been possible.  There would have been no way; their English just wasn't that good.  Two - I love the fact that Suhail thought of a solution!  Most of the kids when you ask them what they should do just sit there and wait for you to tell them.  Three - the girls sitting around us while we were talking didn't say anything or laugh or ask why he was able to redo the test and they couldn't.  They really are sensitive and caring to others. 

When he retook the test he got 10 out of 10 on his mental math, but 9 out of 10 on his spelling.  I didn't want to go through this again so I called him to my desk and had him spell "shock."  On his paper he wrote "shoch", but he spelled it correctly so I gave it to him.  I don't need him to get hit by his mom because he missed one word on his spelling test.  He ended up getting all 10 of his mental math problems right!

No comments:

Post a Comment