Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Contradictions

I am so fed up.  I'm tired of regulations that make no sense and policies that contradict themselves.  Here's part of our language policy that we "reviewed" on Tuesday during our "professional" development. 

  1. All students who enter ENS take an entrance exam and they will not be admitted if they are more than 2 years below grade level.
    1. OK fine with that.  But if that's the case, how did Mohamed, Shaikha, and Kahdija end up in my class (4th grade) without knowing all their letters of the alphabet and how to read?  Yes, I understand that when they entered they may not have been that low, but I'd venture to say they probably were, and in reality it's a bit tricky to say how far below grade level a kindergartner is.
  2. All students must be performing on grade level standards based on the MAP test.
    1. Well, how is that possible if you are admitting students who are 2 years below grade level?  How am I supposed to get a student who is performing on a 2nd grade level to pass a 4th grade American test?  Yes, I know they can show growth, but 2 years of growth in 1 year.  Not impossible, but highly unlikely especially for language learners who rarely use the language outside of school.
I talked to the principal about the differentiation vs. grade 4 American standards that we must grade by and he told me we have to grade according to the standards.  When is this country going to get it figured out that these students are not native English speakers and they should not be taught, or graded, as such?

In other news I went shopping yesterday!  I was totally bored with my wardrobe and it took me 20 minutes (maybe a slight exaggeration) one morning to figure out what to wear.  So I bought a few new tops and skirts and I'll be getting rid of some old stuff.  Made me feel better!  Plus I got lots of compliments on the new top that I wore today.

My plans for the summer are in the works.  I'll most likely be going to Vegas and The Grand Canyon with my parents and Amy the first week of July.  I've never been to either place so I'm looking forward to it.  We're thinking of going to see Cirque du Soleil while we're in Vegas!  Interestingly enough, the show that I saw in Dubai isn't playing in Vegas so I won't have to see a repeat show (although I definitely would, it was that good;).  Then Amy and I are planning on taking Alexa and Mason to MI Adventure and Ludington the first weekend in Aug.  I've never been to MI Adventure and I love Ludington so I'm looking forward to this trip.  Once those dates get finalized I can begin planning my trip to NC.  I'll be home for nearly 2 months, but I'm sure it'll fly by.

No comments:

Post a Comment