Thursday, October 17, 2013

Ras Al Khaimah - Otherwise Known as RAK

There's not much to tell about my holiday in RAK, but I'll try to describe it for you.  Fara, Arian (her 11 year old son) and I left Dubai around 1:30 and arrived at Acacia Hotel in RAK around 3:30.  We checked into the fully booked hotel, went to our room (which was super tiny) and then went across the street to have some lunch.  Our lunch wasn't all that pleasant as we were attacked by flies and cats.  The season of the flies is upon the UAE, but this was beyond ridiculous.  It was like we were sitting right in the flies' nesting spot.  They were all over our food.  Disgusting.  Then there were the cats.  There were two and they almost had a cat fight while we were having lunch.  Needless to say we left ASAP!  Once we got back to the hotel, Arian and I went to the pool while Fara went to the gym (I didn't bring my gym clothes so I couldn't work out).  Arian went swimming, but I just sat on the edge soaking my feet.  By this time the sun was beginning to set and the water was cold.  After some time Arian convinced me to get in and I swam a few laps anxiously avoiding all the kids who were having a blast with water guns, in and out of the pool.  Fara showed up about an hour later and we sat outside for a while before heading back to the pint-sized room to get cleaned up and head to the mall.  Because our holiday was during Eid not much was open, just the hotels and malls, so that's what we did. 

Tuesday we spent the day at the beach.  The Acacia Hotel is part of a group of hotels and although the Acacia is not on the beach one of the their other hotels is and we got free passes to their beach and swimming pool  The Bin Majid Hotel was much nicer than the Acacia, but I'm sure it was at least twice as expensive since it had its own private beach.  But we got to enjoy the beach without paying the beach resort price!  Nice deal.  Relaxing on the beach was nice; the water, not so much. It was like someone had dropped all their grass clippings in the gulf.  It was gross.  Arian and I pretty much stayed as close to the shore as possible until we found this path (I know sounds weird, a path in the middle of the gulf, but that's what it was) that enabled us to venture further out.  We spent a good portion of the day at the beach and at the pool before heading back to Acacia to get cleaned up and then make an exciting trip to the mall for dinner. 

Prior to checking out on Wednesday we just spent some time by the pool.  I enjoyed my time at the beach, but I definitely won't be going back to this hotel.  The room was small, no extra towels, crammed breakfast area, no pool towels, and the beds were nearly on the floor.  If I end up back in RAK I'll definitely be going somewhere else; most likely paying the money for a beach resort, just not during Eid when everyone hikes up their prices!

95 degrees at 4:30

No comments:

Post a Comment