Sunday, January 29, 2012

Same ol' Same ol'

OK so I know some of you have been waiting for a new blog entry, so here it is.  Sorry for the long time between posts, but really there hasn't been anything too exciting happening since I have gotten back from Australia and back to work.  Here's what's been happening.

Winter
I think winter may be over. Maybe.  It's hard to tell.  But it's been quite cold since I have been back.  The temps have been in the 50s to 60s during the day.  That's the high temp.  Now I know that may not sound cold to many of you, but it is.  Plus it's been damp and windy.  It's like the cold just stays with you.  It's been very cold in the classroom even though out in the sun it may be kind of nice.  I've had to keep the door shut.  I'm really not sure what's worse; mid 50s or 120?!  I like cold weather, but I'm just not prepared for it here.  I didn't bring my sweaters and sweatshirts and I can't buy that stuff here.  Everything is too short in the sleeves so I have to wear them as 3/4 length shirts, which doesn't help when it's in the mid 50s to low 60s. 

School
School has been going well.  The girls have been good and we're moving along.  In order to get the girls to talk more English during class I started a contest with them.  I keep track of the times that I hear English or Arabic and if they have more English points at the end of the month they will get a reward.  I'm thinking an ice cream party.  Something relatively cheap.  Well it is working.  4th grade pretty much speaks only in English now!  They used to always have their friends translate for them if they wanted to tell me something.  Now they think of a way to say it!  Yes, we still use Arabic especially when I'm introducing a concept and teaching, but when we are having conversations and after a concept has been introduced and discussed for a few days it's pretty much English!  3rd grade is doing good as well, just not as good as 4th grade.  But they are getting better!  They keep reminding each other "Talk English please!"  It's actually quite cute!  3rd grade has figured out that if they speak Arabic quietly I can't hear them so that's what they do.  It has been amazingly quiet in the class during their work time!  An unexpected pleasant surprise!

I had my midterm (?) evaluation last week.  It went well.  God gave me the strength and grace to not get so stressed out and frustrated with the way it went!  It's really only the pre-one anyway.  The one at the end of the year is the one that really matters.  If it really matters anyway!  The thing is I had to provide evidence for my rating.  I don't really agree with that.  Why should I have to prove that I'm doing my job.  Isn't that the principal's job when she does her observations.  Well, agree with it or not, I did it.  She was really good because if I didn't have something for evidence she suggested what I could include for the final one.  Nice help.  Although I did have to ask at one point.  I told her I didn't know what to include for evidence and she responded with "a good teacher will know what to use for evidence."  I said "a good administrator will help her teachers when they ask."  She thought about it and then suggested some things that I could use for evidence.  Although that may sound rude it really didn't come out that way.  I was just nicely pointing out that part of her job is to help her teachers.  Now I just have to wait and gather evidence for the May one.

2012-2013 School Year
This can pretty much be summed up in I'm praying about it.  I don't know what I'm supposed to do as I want to be where God wants me and as of right now He hasn't revealed His will to me.  I am looking in Dubai, considering renewing my contract with ADEC, and looking for jobs back in the States.  There are some private schools in Dubai that sound really good and sound pretty cool to work at.  I know if I move to Dubai it would mean starting all over and that kind of scares me, but I also know that if that's where God wants me, He will take care of all the moving, visa, and starting over issues.  I have sent my resume to a recruiter in Dubai and I am working on applying in the States.  Although I think it is still a bit early for the States, but I'll get my resume on some online search engines.

Dubai
I am still going to Dubai every weekend to stay with Cindy so I can go to church.  I really enjoy getting away for the weekends.  It's nice to be with people who believe what I believe so I can share with them.  I am making a lot of friends in Dubai and it's nice to see them on the weekends.  Thing is my friendship with Susan has pretty much ended.  She doesn't talk to me anymore.  Weird.  She used to come over all the time.  Now I only talk to her if I go over to her apt.  True, I'm not home on the weekends anymore to spend time with her, but we could talk or go out during the week.  We used to go to the gym together, but she doesn't go anymore.  I have asked, but she says no.  Although it is weird, I have to admit it's kind of good, even though it does hurt.  Thing is Susan is very negative and complains a lot, and when I'm around her I tend to be negative and critical as well and I know that's not good.  So it's helping me to be more positive and thankful about my job, but it's still  hard.

My parents and Amy are coming in less than 8 weeks!!  I can't wait!  It will be so AWESOME to see them and we're going to have a great time:) 

73 degrees at 8:40pm.

1 comment:

  1. Sara, it's good to hear you're still doing well! I'm trying to figure out what to do next year, too! We'll figure something out I'm sure. Hang in there. Lots of love from across the sea!

    ReplyDelete