Sunday, February 12, 2012

Salvation and Baptism

So, based on the title I am assuming you can figure out that this post has nothing to do with school or travels.  But, as this blog is supposed to be a journal I am recording some extremely important events that have happened in my life in the past 2 1/2 months.  I have been putting off posting about my new found salvation due to fear of some responses, but I have realized that I am here to bring glory and honor to God and to please Him and share the message of salvation with others.  So it's about time that I obey my God and give Him glory! 

Some of you reading this may know a bit about this already, and for others of you it may be a surprise because you thought (just as I did) that I was already saved, and still for others it will be completely new news for you.

My testimony began 16 years ago when I thought I had accepted Jesus as my Savior.  My roommate in college was a Christian and she invited me to a Bible study.  After one of the Bible studies she asked me what I thought about Jesus.  Having grown up Catholic, I told her that I knew that Jesus died for my sins.  She asked if I had accepted that Jesus died for me and I again told her that I knew that He died for me.  Eventually the conversation got around to what would happen if I died.  I told her I thought I was going to heaven because I was a good person.  She told me that wasn’t good enough and I needed to accept Jesus’ forgiveness.  She led me in a prayer, and then gladly pronounced that I was saved and going to heaven.  Good news! 

I continued to attend church, Bible studies, and retreats, but nothing really changed.  I even got baptized, tried to lead a Bible study, and to disciple new Christians.  Over the years I had many struggles with sin and accepting that Jesus had died for my sins.  I was trying to be perfect, thinking that was what God wanted, but never reaching perfection.  I would share my struggles with one of my close friends who would always ask me if I knew that God loved me and died for my sins.  My answer was always the same: I know it in my head.  It had never made it to my heart.  This pattern continued for 15 years and then God brought me to the UAE.  I was miserable.  Nothing seemed to be going right and I was depressed, angry, and lonely, and ready to go home. 

In October, 2011 I began attending Redeemer where I was hearing messages totally focused on Jesus and for three weeks the messages were on letting Him be the Lord of your life.  In addition to that there were also discussions about people who think they are saved, but really aren’t.  Jesus definitely wasn’t Lord of my life and I thought I was saved, but was I really?  After praying, reading the Bible and other books, and talking to Christians I determined that I wasn’t saved.  I had simply agreed with the fact that Jesus died for me.  I needed to trust God to save me through His Son Jesus.  Jesus died on the cross for me so that I wouldn’t have to face the wrath of God for my sins.  He took my punishment and gave me His righteousness.  I needed to truly accept His gift of salvation through His Son Jesus Christ, repent of my sins, and surrender my life to Him.  So, on Nov. 19, 2011 I asked.  I truly asked God to forgive my sins.  I repented of my sins and had faith that Jesus died for my sins.  And because of that sacrifice I was made acceptable in God's sight and He adopted me as His child and gave me the right to go to Heaven.  In that moment things changed.  I really believed in my heart!  I knew that there was nothing I could do to earn God’s love, forgiveness, and salvation.  God did it for me through Jesus.  I was forgiven and loved and I was changing.  I didn’t feel weighed down by my past sins and failures.  I had a desire to read the Word and apply it to my life.  I wanted to pray and spend time with God getting to know Him.  I experienced joy!  Praising God became something that I longed to do and I have every reason to praise Him.  He set me free and I could truly say thank You God!  All praise, glory, and thanks to God my Father and Jesus my Savior!

I continued to attend Redeemer and grow closer to Jesus and stronger in my faith when the subject of baptism came up.  Due to the fact that I had already been baptized I didn't know what this meant for me.  After talking to Cindy and Dave (the pastor at Redeemer) I realized that my baptism when I was in college meant nothing since I had not truly repented of my sins and had faith that Jesus was my Savior and Lord.  So on Feb. 10, 2012 I publicly declared my faith and got baptized.  For real! 

Now all of this doesn't mean I'm perfect and that I don't sin.  I still sin and make many mistakes, but I know that God forgives me and I am considered righteous in His sight because of Jesus.  He justified me through faith and now He is changing me; making me more like Jesus.

For those of you reading this that don't know Jesus as your Lord and Savior I am praying for you; I pray that one day you will experience the salvation and freedom that I have experienced.  If you have any questions please talk to someone.  Don't hesitate to ask me any questions.


No comments:

Post a Comment