Saturday, September 15, 2012

Medical Issues

Just a quick blog about my current medical situation. 

Ever since I arrived back in this country I was sick.  It was like 3 weeks of a cold.  I eventually got my medical card and headed to the doctor.  Not due to the cold, but the lump on my throat.  The ultrasound revealed that it was on my thyroid and filled with fluid, which is a good thing.  It's much better being filled with fluid instead of being solid.  Easier to drain and figure out what is going on.  In addition to having the ultrasound I had blood work to check my thyroid and iron levels.  Every thing is fine with my thyroid!  My iron levels are low, which might explain why I have been exhausted, so I am taking iron supplements.  After they found out that the lump was filled with liquid they needed to schedule the fine needle aspiration (FNA).   The procedure had to be approved by my insurance company.  I was totally surprised by how fast that went!  I mean I thought I would have to wait at least a week.  I know how this country works!  But it was approved the following day and my ultrasound was scheduled for that same weekend!!  Wow!  See, they can do it if they want to:)

Fara, my neighbor and passenger to and from school, went with me for the FNA.  I wasn't sure how I would feel, or how much pain I would be in afterwards.   Deborah drove us.  It was really nice that they were both so concerned about me.  Very supportive.  We got to the hospital and I found out I had to go to checkout (I was told that I just needed to go directly to the imaging department).  OK no problem.  I went there, but I'm not really sure why.  They just looked at my paper and sent me back.  Weird.  But, that is how things work here!  The longest part of the whole thing was waiting.  My appointment was at 2:00, but I didn't see the doctor until about 3:00.  He told me what to expect: a stick with a needle and that's it.  No anesthetic was offered and I didn't ask.  He said it would be very quick.  And it was.  Although it wasn't just a needle stick.  He had to do it twice.  He couldn't get anything out from where he put the needle the first time so he had to try again.  It was painful.  Not the needle going in; it was the pressure and him digging around in my neck with a needle.  At one point he asked me if something was the matter and I didn't respond.  I didn't think I could.  I just shut my eyes and grit my teeth and stiffened up.  You know what you do when something hurts: you go all tense.  Well, that's what I did.  It didn't last long though, maybe 10 minutes at the most.  He showed me what he got out of it and it was some chunky yellow-reddish liquid substance.  Disgusting!!  He was able to drain all of it and the lump is totally gone!  Now I just have to wait for the results.  Hopefully I will get them sometime this week.

Still 97 degrees 15 minutes later than my last post!

No comments:

Post a Comment