Monday, October 29, 2012

Eid Al Adha

What a great break!  It was a much needed restful 6 days off of work.  I can't believe I have to go back tomorrow.  I'm not ready!!

Wednesday I spent the day in Dubai with Cindy.  We just went to the mall and walked around for a bit before heading back to the hotel (where she and Craig are staying) to wait for Craig to come home from work.  We spent the time catching up and sharing while we were waiting.  Craig was supposed to come at 1:00, but that turned in to 3:00, which turned into 4:30 and he eventually arrived around 4:45.  No big deal, but kind of funny.  When Craig got there we headed back to the mall for dinner and some more window shopping.  Dinner was good and then it was time to say good-bye.  They would be leaving for Qatar on Saturday.  It was nice to be able to spend the day with them because who knows when I'll see them again. 

After I left the mall I tried to go see Kristie but traffic was horrible.  Not moving at all.  So I called her and told her that I'd see her on Friday at church.  We were talking about her coming home with me and spending Thursday in Al Ain, but she had things that she needed to do in Dubai on Thursday so we'll plan it for some other day. 

Thursday was a nice day out.  I went to the zoo with Deborah and Sophia (her 1 1/2 year old).  It was nice to be there with a kid!  We got to the zoo when it opened at 10 and left around 1:30.  When we got there it wasn't too hot or too crowded.  By the time we left it was exactly the opposite.  At one point I forgot what country I lived it as the zoo was packed with Indian men and families.  I think I only saw 1 Arabic family.  Yes, I know they are a minority here, but still.  Some of the animals were quite active and I really enjoyed watching the baby rhino run after its mom!  The white tiger was just getting up from its nap when we got there so it was cool to see him stretch and yawn and move around.  Much more than I have seen in the past.  The white lion was just laying around, but at least he was in the sun and I was able to see him.  The gazelles were running and jumping and the giraffes were too busy eating to be bothered by the bell that was calling them over so some kids could feed them!  All in all it was a nice day at the zoo.  I'm not sure how much Sophia got out of it, but she was in a good mood and enjoyed walking around.

After the zoo I did some cleaning and then headed to the Hilton for a workout followed by dinner at the pool.  A very nice and relaxing way to end the day.

Friday was spent in Dubai with friends from church.  Kisha made the trip from Abu Dhabi via bus so she could attend the worship service.  That was her second time and I hope she continues.  It's nice how that friendship is being rekindled after being away for awhile.  I spent the morning teaching the 2-4 year olds about how God chooses people by telling the story of Jacob and Esau.  God was amazingly faithful and answered my prayer for focus for the kids and strength for me as I taught.  The kids sat through the story time AND sang songs AND even participated by answering some questions!  That's the best they've ever been.  It was a nice morning with them.  I then headed upstairs to meet Kristie and Kisha.  Kristie, Vanny, and I typically have lunch together and Kisha came along with us and we were joined by Jane and Lizah (a new attender to the church).  We had a nice lunch at IKEA and then we headed to the Dubai Mall so Kisha and I could go to the organic store.  Oh the parking!  That mall is huge and so is the parking garage, but I didn't think I'd ever find a place to park.  I ended up going on the roof and was greeted by many open spaces!  What a nice view up there though.  We joked that they needed to put a coffee shop on the roof of the parking garage.  You could have coffee and see the sights at the same time.  Maybe we'll have to open one!  We did our organic shopping and then Kisha headed home while Jane, Kristie and I walked around and fought the crowds of Saudi's that were there for 24 hour shopping!  We wanted to have dinner at The Cheesecake Factory (newly opened), but the mafia looking men standing outside informed us that you needed a reservation.  Oh well.  Maybe when they've been there for a while we'll be able to get in without a reservation.  So we headed to some French cafe and had sandwiches.  I know not exactly The Cheesecake Factory, but it was still good.  We had had enough of the crowds so we made our way back to the roof and headed to Bur Dubai to go shoe shopping.  Kristie knew of a store that sells size 11 shoes so I was intrigued.  Sure enough they do, but they all have high heels or platforms.  Bummer.  I tried a pair on just for fun and we all got a good laugh at how tall I had become!  Oh well I'll just have to do my shoe shopping when I get home.  After an exhausting day of "shopping" it was time to head back to Al Ain and fall in bed.

Saturday was a PJ day!!  I haven't had one of those in forever.  Well, I can't really say it was a full PJ day because I did get dressed and do some grocery shopping, but after that I was home in my PJs.  I did some laundry and that's about it.  Reading, watching TV, and playing games occupied my day.  Very restful and relaxing and much needed.

Sunday I had lunch with Mary at Bawadi Mall; it was good to see her.  Since she's not doing the Bible study anymore I haven't seen her in a few weeks.  Good times catching up.  I also looked for some shoes at Bawadi Mall.  They have "Ecco" and I can typically find shoes there.  They had sandals in my size just not shoes;  I really need shoes.  Disappointing, but kind of expected.  Then it was off to the gym followed by another relaxing evening at home.  I did get my new seating chart made, but that was the extent of the school work that I did!

Monday (today) I went to Alexandra's for lunch (or rather tea).  It was nice to visit with her outside of school.  She teaches 3rd grade and is from South Africa.  We have been wanting to get together since the beginning of the year and it has finally happened.  After visiting for a while I left with the promise of having her, along with Jenn and Linda, over to my place for dinner one night before Christmas break.  Then it was back to the gym for a workout and more pool time.  I didn't really do much swimming just sun bathing by the pool.  I wanted lunch, but I couldn't find anyone to give me a menu or take my order so I just sat and read for a bit.

As I was getting ready to leave the gym I got a call from the post office.  My birthday package had arrived!!  Happy Birthday to me!  I got exactly what I asked for, Cheezits and Jif creamy peanut butter, and more!  I got a nice long sleeved blouse and some kitchen towels along with makeup.  What a nice birthday box!!  Alexa's kindergarten picture was also in the box and she looks like she's 17 (minus the fact that she has 2 missing front teeth:). 

Now it's time for my break to end:(  Back to work tomorrow.  Yes, I'm thankful that I have a job, but I have really enjoyed this time off.  I looked at the calendar and it's a nice 7ish weeks until Christmas break.  Two and a half weeks and then a day off for Islamic New Year, two weeks and then 2 days off for National Day, two weeks and then 3 weeks off for Christmas!!  I can make it!!!!

93 degrees at 5:30 and it sounds like we're having a sandstorm of sorts out there!  Glad I'm not at the pool!!

Oh side note.  I've been having to wear my sweatshirt at night.  I know crazy, but it's chilly here.  Maybe if I turned off my air conditioning in the bedroom it wouldn't be so cold, but I need it on so it's cold when I go to sleep.  I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to survive winter in MI at my parents' house!!

No comments:

Post a Comment