Sunday, April 6, 2014

Turkey Part 5 - Istanbul April 3, Departure, and Arrival in Dubai April 4

Last chapter!  Thanks for sticking with me and reading about all my adventures!

This was a day of waiting.  Waiting to check-out, waiting for our transport to the airport, waiting for the flight to arrive, waiting to land in Dubai, and waiting for a coffee shop to open for breakfast.  It was a long day with not much to do, other than wait.

We were able to get a 1 pm check-out instead of noon, which was something I guess.  Our flight wasn't until 11:50 pm so an extra hour at the hotel was better than nothing.  We ate breakfast, then returned to the room to get ready and finish packing.  We checked out at 1 and headed back to Taksim Square to see the sites one last time.  Before we actually got to Taksim Square we saw the restaurant that Jenn told me about so we decided to have lunch before doing last minute souvenir shopping.  After lunch we walked around town, buying last minute gifts, and found a bench in the sun to sit and rest while we waited.  It was another sunny, but cold and windy day in Istanbul, and we were both quite tired of being tourists so we just sat a lot and people watched.  Which was totally fine with me.  We did happen upon a local film crew that was taping a scene where we were seated, so we got to watch that; not that we could understand anything that was being said, but it was still interesting to watch the making of some sort of movie.  Our transport back to the airport wasn't supposed to arrive until 8, but we were cold and a bit bored so we headed back to the hotel around 6 to sit in the lobby so we could warm up and use the wifi.

We got to the airport around 9, had dinner and chatted about our trip before heading to our gate.  11:30 came and went and we were still waiting to board.  There were no announcements indicating that the flight had been delayed, but delayed it was.  We didn't actually board until midnight and by then we were supposed be 10 minutes into the flight.  I had purchased emergency row seats for the flight back, hoping that I would be a bit more comfortable and able to get some sleep but that didn't happen.  I only got my typical 2-2 1/2 hours of sleep.

Despite leaving late, we arrived into Dubai early.  Now that would have been a good thing if we could have actually landed, but due to stormy (really??) weather in Dubai we had to circle the airport for about 45 minutes before we could land.  That I believe is the worst feeling, knowing that you are so close to getting off the plane, but you can't.  Frustrating.  We finally landed at about 5:45; 45 minutes after we were supposed to arrive, but we landed safely so I guess that's the only thing that matters.  Since ours was the first plane to arrive, passport control was a breeze; I was the second person in line!  After we cleared customs we grabbed our bags and then got a taxi to Vanny's so she could drop off her luggage and I could get my car.

We headed to one of the local malls for breakfast, but unfortunately things open later on Friday than they do during the week, so we had to wait until a coffee shop was ready to serve us (before they actually opened) at 7:15.  After breakfast I took Vanny back to her place so she could shower and get ready for church, while I went to church (that's the main problem with having many Filipino friends - they don't have room in their apartments for me, as they share with many other people all of whom have to use the shower as well).  So I went to church and cleaned myself up in the car before going into the hotel.

I was supposed to have lunch with Kristie and Jane after church, but I was exhausted.  Having been up since 8 am the previous morning and only sleeping about 2 hours I was ready to crash, so I drove back to Al Ain and by God's grace alone I made it without falling asleep.  I took a 2 hour nap and forced myself to get up when my alarm went off because I wanted to be able to sleep that night and sleep I did; I was out for nearly 12 hours before I woke up at 8:30 Saturday morning.

So, all in all it was a great trip!  It wasn't the Philippines, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.  I would definitely go back to Cappadocia and if anyone wants to join me please let me know.  I would probably pass on Istanbul and Ephesus (unless I went to the Christian parts), but there are many other places that I would love to see.  I'm thinking a Greece/Turkey cruise!!  It will be a while before that happens though:)

No comments:

Post a Comment