Saturday, May 31, 2014

Nearing the End

As I enter my last month in the UAE there have been a few developments that I should share.  Besides the fact that school is still school and it's getting quite HOT; I've had to move, I spent the weekend at a resort in Oman, I've been challenged to list all the things that I've enjoyed and will miss about living here, I've been busy applying for jobs in MI and other states, and we went on a field trip to Wadi Adventure.  So that's what I've been up to for the past month since my last post.  Now that you know I guess that's about it! Well, I suppose I should add some details since that is what I require of my students:)

About 2 weeks ago, I found out that the contract on the apartment complex where I was staying was expiring at the end of May and ENS wasn't going to renew so we all had to move.  Now, I totally agree with them not renewing it's just the timing was horrible; 6 weeks before I leave the country for good I find out that I have to pack and move.  Granted the new place is 100 times better and I am really enjoying living in a bigger place (I went from a one bed/bath to a 2 bed 1 1/2 bath) that doesn't have ants or roaches and no water issues as of yet.  I just wish they would have cancelled the contract last year so I could have spent the entire year here.  Oh well; I'll enjoy it for the 4 weeks that I have left.

Last weekend was a long weekend so Alexandra and I decided to live it up at a resort in Oman.  I'd been to the Shangri-La before, but not the Al Husn hotel and it was truly an experience to remember.  There really is a difference in quality based on price.  Yes, it's true that cheaper hotels can be very nice, but it was worth the extra dirhams to get totally pampered.  A few of the extra amenities included everything in the minibar, afternoon tea, pre-dinner drinks, exceptional breakfast buffet with made to order items, slippers, flip-flops, and a small beach bag.  There was even a bath tub that I could fit in and I made use of it!  I never take baths, but last weekend I had 2!!  How relaxing.  Outside of the room I thoroughly savored every moment on the balcony listening to the sound of the waves, and taking in the views of the Gulf of Oman and surrounding mountains.  I relaxed with a Chi Balance Massage, pedicure, and time by the pool reading.  It was a fabulous weekend and I have decided that if I were to ever return to the Middle East I would go back to Oman and stay at the Shangri-La.

The challenge.  One of my very good friends challenged me to reflect on everything that I like about living here and everything that I will  miss.  It's been a very good challenge and helped me to be thankful for the many blessings that God has provided through this job.  My list includes things such as the ability to travel, pay off debt, try new foods, meet many new people, sort of learn a new language, learn about different cultures, being able to go to a wonderful church where I hear about Jesus's amazing steadfast love, grace, and mercy every week, the resources to afford a cleaner and laundry services, plus many other things.  I'll probably do a separate blog about that right before I leave.  I really haven't focused on the people that I have been so blessed by having in my life since I've been here; I'm kinda putting that off because I don't want to think about it.  This weekend we had a banquet for volunteers with Redeemer Kids, and as I was sitting there I almost started crying because I will miss the church, the kids, and my wonderful friends who have become my family.

Applying for jobs has been time consuming, frustrating, and stressful.  So far, I've applied in Michigan and Washington D.C., but I have heard that Texas is hiring so I'll be checking that out this afternoon and seeing what's available.  Although I haven't heard anything yet, I am not concerned.  I know that God will provide the right job at the right time and I'm praying and trusting Him to provide the perfect job for me.  And, I am extremely thankful for His provision of an amazing family who will let me stay with them until I find that job.

Wadi Adventure was a blast!  Due to the extreme heat with temperatures over 110 degrees, we spent the day in the water.  Although that meant that we couldn't go to the air park like we did last year, but we had a fabulous time in the wave pool and rafting.  While in the wave pool Peter, Kevin, and I spent some time throwing the kids around and just playing with them.  Fun times!  Rafting was so much fun.  The guide was really good and he had us spend a lot of time "stuck" in the rapids.  The girls were so brave and after they figured out that the guide was in control and would keep them safe they really enjoyed getting soaked by the rapids!  Wadima was right up front next to me and poor thing kept nearly drowning as the waves continually splashed over her head, but she was sputtering and laughing as she came up each time!  I really think we should have this field trip every week until the end of the year!

Well, the end of the year has changed.  June 26th was the last day for students and June 30th was supposed to be the last day for teachers.  On Tuesday we got an email saying that the last day for teachers would be June 26th and we could change our flights home if we wanted to!  So, that is what I'm in the process of doing.  It is quite difficult since I did not book the original ticket; I'm trying to get in touch with the travel agency, but they're not being too cooperative.  I've called a few times and no one answers or calls back.  I've sent a few emails and I'm waiting to hear about the flight details regrading the flight that is available on June 30th.  I decided to try to change my ticket because it would give me more time to recover from jet-lag before heading to DC on July 6th to try to get some paperwork done there which would expedite the hiring process.  Plus it'll give me more time to look for a job while at home; which may be a bit easier since I'll be able to take the UAE address off of my resume.  We shall see.

Last week we had our exit process meeting; hopefully it won't be too intense.  I've already visited Etisalat to cancel my Internet; I'm not paying the charge like I did 2 years ago for not canceling it within a month of departure.  Thankfully, I don't have a credit card or any loans so the bank aspect doesn't apply to me.  I'll just have to clear out my account before I leave.  No problem there!  The rest of the stuff is school related; like making sure I don't have any resources checked out and turning in my passport for visa cancellation.  I'm taking a 1/2 day off tomorrow to go to the Dr and get a physical (who knows if I'll need one for a job and I have insurance so I wanted to get that taken care of before I went home) and going to the police for a background check (again who knows if I'll need one, but it'll definitely be easier to get one while I'm here instead of trying to arrange for one when I'm back in the States).

I guess that's about all that's been going on.  I'll try to be more regular about posting as I go through the exit process again.

It's blazing hot here!  Feels like July already!  111 at 3:30 vs 61 in South Lyon at 7:30am.

No comments:

Post a Comment