Wednesday, December 1, 2010

National Day Celebrations at School

What a day!  What a waste of time!  I was absolutely bored.  They did the same thing over and over for 5 hours.  Plus I couldn't understand what they were saying or singing.  They did a lot of dancing.  I did find out their National Dance; which is shaking their hair!  Literally!  Well, that's what the girls did.  There probably is an actual dance, but it didn't look like one. 

The program started at 8:00 and could have ended at 9:00, but it went until 1:00.  Surprisingly the girls were pretty well behaved until about 11:00.  Then they started getting restless.  Can't say as I blame them. 

The girls wear these amazing dresses.  They look like wedding gowns.  It's amazing that the parents let them come to school in them and run around.  But, they have money so they probably buy a new one after today.  We weren't allowed to take pictures today.  Not sure why, but I had to put my camera away.  I did get some pictures of the girls in their dresses before I was told no pictures.

Arabic is extremely frustrating!  I have learned all the letters, so I should be able to read.  The only thing is I need the vowels to read and now she's telling me to stop relying on them.  Vowels don't appear in Arabic writing unless they are long vowels, so if you don't know the word you have to "guess" at the pronunciation.  Reading to me is not a guessing game.  But, I guess if you practice enough without vowels you will learn words and won't need them.  That's their reasoning for not using vowels in writing.  I finished phase 1 and phase 2 (grammar and speaking) starts next week.

I got a stove today!  I just couldn't use the hot plate/convection thing any longer.  It takes too long to make something and it shuts off a lot.  I like to cook so now that I have a real stove and oven I will be able to make some nice meals. 

I am going to Dubai for a couple of days to celebrate Kisha's birthday.  Not sure what she has planned, but I'm sure we'll have fun.

I am still a little homesick.  I think it's due to the fact that for the past 8 years at this time I knew that I would be going home for Christmas in a couple of weeks.  That's not happening this year. 

Tomorrow the UAE will celebrate its 39th birthday!  I wonder what I'll see in Dubai!

No comments:

Post a Comment