Thursday, December 16, 2010

Tree Lighting

Christmas tree at Rotana Hotel
The Rotana Hotel had a tree lighting ceremony tonight.  It was a nice bit of home!  The hotel was decorated for Christmas and all the employees were wearing Santa hats.  Very nice to see!  I must say that even though Christmas isn't celebrated in this country they really try to be aware of the different cultures.  There are decorations in the malls and some stores are even playing Christmas songs.  It's nice to see and hear.  Now it's nothing like home, but it's something for a Muslim country.  So back to the tree lighting ceremony.  Cassie and I got to the hotel and walked around.  There was a Santa's workshop out by the pool where you could buy Christmas presents; I didn't buy anything.  Santa's throne was set up by the pool!  Kinda weird!  They had it all decorated with snow and ice, just like the north pool; but with a pool!!  We had some eggnogg, sang some Christmas carols and watched Santa arrive.  He arrived in a horse drawn carriage with bodyguards, not elves!  Santa must be a huge celebrity here! The rest of the evening was for kids; visiting with Santa, crafts, and presents so Cassie and I left.  I was very impressed with the evening.  Especially the emphasis on the real meaning of Christmas.  There was more here than in some places back home.  The majority of the Christmas carols that we sang were Christian (Joy to the World, O Holy Night, Silent Night, O Come all Ye Faithful, Rudolph, and Santa Clause is Coming to Town).  It was nice to sing about the real meaning of Christmas, especially in a Muslim country. 

I am still not sure how I will be celebrating Christmas this year.  I have heard that the Embassy is offering different Christmas activities, so maybe I'll head there.  The only thing is, is that the Embassy is in Abu Dhabi.  As far as I know the church isn't offering anything.  Maybe Cindy will have something.  She has already invited me over to make Christmas cookies and candy!

I am headed to Abu Dhabi tomorrow and then to Oman عمان  Cassie and I are going for 4 days.  It will be nice to get away.  Muscat is supposed to be a beautiful city.  I have heard that it's more "true" Middle East.  I guess that means not as many expats, if any!  I'll fill you in next week when I get back.



No comments:

Post a Comment