Monday, December 27, 2010

What a Day!

Several exciting things happened today! 
  1. I got a car!  I wanted to get one yesterday, but when I went they were closed.  Of course.  I should have known since just about everything closes from 1-4.  I guess I just thought the rent a car place would be open.  They weren't.  So I had to wait another day.  Add that to my list of things that I just don't like about this country; the fact that just about everything closes from 1-4.  OK enough of that.  I got my car this afternoon after my Arabic class.  I had Dhammika, my taxi driver, take me to Fast Cars (the place I am renting from).  I think he was a little sad.  He said "mafi taxi?" (not taxi).  I told him that I just needed a car.  Since he is such a good driver he took me there and waited to make sure I was going to get a car.  He asked how much I was paying, but I wouldn't tell him because I knew he would be mad at me.  He told me not to pay more than 1,000dhs.  That's impossible!  I told him I would call him, and I will.  He has become a good friend.  So I got a 2011 Nissan Tiida.  I had to get the 2011 because I couldn't fit in the 2010.  The 2011 has a bigger engine and it's newer so of course it costs more, but it is more comfortable.  I wouldn't purchase one, it's ok but not for a long time.  My plan is to rent for Jan. and Feb. and then buy a used car.  Hopefully I'll be able to save some money.  I don't think I'll be taking a trip in March.  Oh well, getting a car is the price I will have to pay.  So I am paying 2,200dhs (which includes insurance)/month.  I know it's a lot but I wanted a car and I didn't want to take out a loan.  So, now I can go where I want when I want.  I survived the roundabouts today!  I went to the mall and to the bookshop/teachers store.  Now all I have to do is figure out how to get to school.  I've been going there everyday for the past 3 1/2 months, but I don't know where it is!  It's not in  my GPS either so I guess I'll have to figure it out.  Wish me luck!
  2. It rained!  Real rain, not just 5 drops.  I was getting out of the taxi at Fast Cars when it started and I just stood there looking up and letting the rain hit my face!  It felt sooooo good!  A guy came out of his shop and stood in the doorway laughing at me.  I guess I did look kind of silly, but I haven't seen rain in 4 months.  I wanted to capture this moment and really feel the raindrops falling on my head!  A lady walked by and said "rain!"  I exclaimed "Yeah!"  It actually lasted for a couple of minutes and we got a nice shower.  As I was leaving Fast Cars the salesman told me to be careful driving in the rain because the people here speed up in the rain!  Oh yeah, any reason to drive faster.  Sounds weird.  I guess I would have thought they would have slowed down, but I guess they want to make it home sooner.  What a wonderful experience:)
  3. I made a pot roast.  I couldn't make Mom's pot roast because she uses Onion Soup Mix and I can't find that here.  One more thing on my list that I don't like about this country (I can never find what I want).  So I just put the roast, potatoes, carrots, pepper, garlic, and 2 cups of water in the crock pot.  I thought that would have been enough water, but it wasn't.  The pot roast was a little dry.  Not too bad, but definitely not like Mom and Dad's.  Maybe one day I'll be able to make something that I'm used to eating.  Tomorrow I'll be broiling fish.  That shouldn't be too difficult!  I've done it many times.  I've made a pot roast many times too, but this one just didn't turn out right.  Too bad too because Cassie came over for dinner.  She did say that she enjoyed it. 
  4. I am buying fall clothes.  OK this really isn't all that exciting but some of you may find it interesting that I needed to buy 3/4 sleeve shirts and a hoodie sweatshirt when I'm in the desert.  It is getting quite chilly here in the mornings.  I'd say the temps are in the 70s during the day and 60s during the morning and evening.  I know it's a lot warmer than you are experiencing now, but keep in mind when I arrived it was near 120.  That's a huge temperature difference.  So I have every right to be cold!!!  Now I just need to find shoes that will fit.  I have only found sizes up to 40 or 41 and I need 43.  Najwa suggested that I try the outlet mall on the way to Dubai so I may head there tomorrow since I have a car.

No comments:

Post a Comment