Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Not teaching

That's what our LT meeting was about today.  Supposedly we're not teaching, because we don't send home worksheets.  I took particular offense to this meeting, because it seemed to be directed at me.  I teach!  I spend way too much time getting prepared because the school has no resources.  I have to do all my prep work at home and I do teach.  No, I don't do worksheets all the time because there are other ways to learn and teach.  That's what I'm here for.  I'm here to bring change, and help them see that that you don't always have to teach out of a book or a worksheet.  We do hands on acitivities, discussions, and partner and group work.  Nothing is going to change the way the parents think.  They want worksheets, so that's what I'm going to have to do.  I am going to have to put together a homework packet (that the girls won't do, their nanny will do it for them or they just won't do it) to send home every week with the homework note (that I supposedly don't send home).  We were told that the homework note, the one that I do send home but was told that I don't, is to go out on Thursday with activities and lessons for the following week.  There is no way that can happen.  I just don't know what I will be teaching the following week on Thursday, plus I can't get all the lovely worksheets together since we don't have the Internet at school.  And I have to have common planning time with Ashley, since she teaches 3rd grade and we have to pretty much be doing the same thing.  Our only common planning time is on Thursday, so it just can't happen.  And I told them that.  I had to speak up at this meeting.  I couldn't take being told that I don't teach and I have to do more work.  I had to describe what we do in the classroom, and I told Salha (the teacher I share a room with, who was translating that I don't teach) that she should know that I teach since she sees the evidence all over the room.  I don't think I am here to teach, I think I am here to please the parents. I just don't know how much more I can take.  One more meeting like this might be about all I can handle. 

Tomorrow is my last Arabic class:(  I can't believe that it's over.  I am so not ready for it to end.  Now it will be totally up to me to continue practicing and using the language.  And since I don't speak it, it's going to be gone.  I am going to have to make myself get over this fear of not speaking perfect or correctly and just practice. 

Sorry this is not a very well written entry, it's just that I'm very frustrated and angry.

No comments:

Post a Comment