Thursday, January 27, 2011

Parents

I had surprise parent visitors in my classroom today.  Well, not really a surprise because I knew they were coming, but I didn't find out until today. 

At our meeting on Tuesday I told Salha to tell the parents that they could come and watch me teach science if they don't think I'm teaching.  Well, she took me seriously (I was totally serious anyway) and invited parents.  Only I didn't know about it until this morning.  Andrea came into my room during 2nd period and told me that parents were coming today to see science.  Yikes!  First of all, I don't teach science on Thursday.  We have game day the last period of both classes on Thursday, and that's when I usually teach science.  I told her this, but there was nothing I could do about it.  It ended up being ok because the parents were coming to my class during period 5, not 6, so I just cancelled math for the afternoon and did science instead.  Luckily we didn't get everything accomplished that I had wanted to yesterday, so I had something planned to do.  It would have been terrible if I didn't have anything planned.  We talked about animal habitats and what animals live in different habitats, then I had the girls sort pictures of animals into their habitat, then they played a matching game.  The parents (about 6 moms) got to see the girls involved, using English, and learning science without using a worksheet!!!  They were very pleased.  I think the school is trying to inform the parents about the New School Model and the new way of teaching.  This is a great thing, I just would have liked a little more notice.  Say a day maybe!

I got my first official Emirati greeting this afternoon!  The Emirati women greet by giving cheek kisses.  I was really touched by this.  One student's mom came up to me this afternoon and greeted me in Arabic with the cheek kisses.  I was able to understand her greeting and respond appropriately (I'm really good at greetings:), but the thing that surprised me the most was the kisses.  They just made me feel welcome and like I belong here.  Very nice.  It's little things like that, that make the whole ordeal worth it. 

I totally forgot to write about my first "nose kiss."  The men and children greet each other by bumping noses.  It's really cute to see the kids do it, but kind of weird to see grown men bump noses.  Anyway it's a really affectionate gesture and I got my first one last week from a student.  The funny thing is I had no idea what she wanted to do.  She took my hand and told me to bend down.  I thought she wanted a proper hug, so I gave her a hug.  She said "No, watch" and proceeded to show me with another student.  After she showed me what she wanted I gave her a "nose kiss".  Very touching.

I have been forcing myself to use more Arabic at school.  I practice with the girls though.  So, I make a few mistakes and they laugh, but they correct me.  I told one girl to put her homework in my desk (fe miktabee), instead of on my desk (ala miktabee).  This would be fine if my desk had drawers, but it doesn't so they laughed.  I asked the girls where their homework was (in English since I don't know homework in Arabic; kind of weird I probably should know that word), but I could ask them if it was on (I figured it out) my desk or at your home (ala miktabee or fe baytookey).  OK or is an English word in that sort of sentence, but they got the meaning.  One girl told me she loved me and I replied in Arabic, but incorrectly.  I said "toohebo ante" which should translate literally into I love you, but she said I should say "toohebick ante" which I think literally means I love your you.  I'll have to ask about that.  I was also able to tell them you have a test on Monday "andookey emteehan yom al oothnayn", and that got a barrage of Arabic sentences followed by "gooley" (say).  It was funny!  See I can speak!!!  Kind of encouraging!  I just have to make myself practice  more with adults.  I did greet Ousha today in Arabic, but like I said I am really good at greetings.  They're easy and one of the very first things I learned.  Plus I practice them daily so it's like second nature to greet someone in Arabic.  That's what everything else has to become; like second nature.  Eventually I'll get there.

Like I said, it's the little things that make being here fun and exciting and worth all the hassels. It's the girls' laughter, their learning, them telling me they love me, the hugs, the kisses, the smiles, the kindness of parents and other teachers (especially the Emirati ones), the way the girls try sooooo hard to convey their thoughts in English/Arabic mix, and the "good luck" and high five from Salha today when she told me parents were coming.  Even though my job is stressful and frustrating at times, I have to focus on these moments and I will survive and enjoy this time.

1 comment:

  1. Sara, what a great post! It's so true, it's the little things that make all the difference! I've started trying a little Japanese out on the kids sometimes, too. They laugh if I just mispronounce their names (which happens all the time)! I'm super proud of you learning Arabic and using it, and for your great job in the classroom. Dekiruyo! (You can do it!) :)

    ReplyDelete