Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Last Day of School - Students

Not June 21 or 14, but today.  I'm glad it was today.  It's getting too hot to go to school.  What a day!  We had an informational meeting for parents about summer learning and simple activities they can do with their children over the summer; like going to the library, reading, and playing math games with flashcards.  We tried to keep it simple knowing this is new for these parents.  Hopefully they will do something because we all know that most children lose part of what they learned over the summer.  I know a few of mine will continue to read and speak in English, but unfortunately it's not the majority.  As this reform continues to move on, the children and parents will change and become better adjusted to school and education.

After the meeting was a "party".  Not sure if I'd really call it a party though.  The students were brought into the theater (at least it was inside, we were all fearing it would be outside) where they had to squish (favorite word from last year) together on the floor to make room for all of the parents.  The LTs were sitting on the table in the back of the room, so we were stuck.  Nothing much happened.  My 3rd graders did sing and do the National Dance a couple of times.  Some awards were given and then there was 5th grade graduation.  A few speeches by the students then they were called by name, shook the prinicpal's hand, and walked out of the theater.  That's it.  Khallas.  Finished.  The students left at 10:30 and we had to stay until 1:00.  I spent the time in the teachers' lounge talking and relaxing.  I have a whole month to get the room cleaned and packed up, so why rush?!

A couple of end of the year conversations I had with 4th graders.  I tried to record their English as accurately as I could remember.

Ashwaq - Miss, I do not like (insert Arabic word for school with boys and girls) because them have exams and still go school.  We (insert Arabic word for school with just girls) khallas, finished (wipe hands together twice).
Me - Oh, so students at mixed schools have to take final exams.
Ashwaq - Yeah, not nice.
Me - Well, then I'm glad you go to a girls' school so you can be finished, khallas, with school!

The conversation continued about 5 minutes later.

Ashwaq - Miss, I am sad.
Me - Why?
Ashwaq - School finished and I will miss you and my friends.
Me - Ashwaq, five minutes ago you said you were glad that school was over!
Giggles from the class
Ashwaq - No.  I want stay at school!
More giggles and laughter
Me - Well, what will you do?
Ashwaq - Read and learn! (isn't that what every teacher wants to hear!!!!)
Me - Can you read and learn at home?
Ashwaq - I want school, I wll do nothing at home.
Me - Go to the library and get books so you can read at home (need to plug the new library at Al Ain Mall).
Ashwaq - OK, but I will miss you. 
Me - I will miss you too, Ashwaq (and I will)

A different conversation outside after the party

Rawan - Miss, where you go teach?
Me - Emirates National School.
Rawan - thinking for a minute.  OK I go with you!
Me - You want to go to Emirates National School?
Rawan - Yes, I tell mother I go to Emirates National School.
Me - Oh Rawan, that is so sweet!  I hope to see you there!

One more conversation sitting in the room.
Me - Zainab, where are you going for the summer?
Zainab - Maybe Franceuh.
Me - Rawan, where are you going?
Rawan - Maybe France.
Me - So you are going with Zainab?
Rawan and Zainab look at each other and laugh.
Rawan - No, Miss just maybe France.
Me - Moza, where are you going?
Moza - Maybe Thailand.
Zainab - Thailand?  Too hot.  I do not like Thailand.   Thailand not nice.
Me - I went to Thailand and it was very nice.
Zainab - Yes, nice, but too hot.  Need to go Franceuh.
Me - Well, I bet if Moza goes to Thailand she'll have fun.

4th graders
3rd graders

That's it!  I will miss these girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment