Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Weekend trip to Dubai

Last weekend, Cassie and I took a much needed trip to Dubai (دبي).  Well, we didn't necessarily need to go to Dubai, we just needed to get out of Al Ain (العين).  We were planning on meeting Kisha there, but she was sick so it was just me and Cassie.  We left Friday afternoon and spent the day there.  We drove through a sandstorm!!  Yes, a real, true sandstorm.  Awesome!  Never thought I would experience one of those.  Well, ok maybe since I've been here I've been waiting to experience one of those.  Kind of like when I first arrived in NC I wanted to experience a hurricane.  Now that I've seen a sandstorm and a hurricane I don't think I need to experience them again.  So, in a sandstorm the sky gets all dark and sand flies everywhere.  It was super windy.  Winds up to 120kph (75mph).  Cassie did a good job driving by the way!  It was weird seeing flying sand; we couldn't see very far in front of us.  I don't think Cassie was driving through the worst of it, but nevertheless it was a sandstorm.  Signboards (road signs, and building signs) were knocked down and when we arrived in Dubai we could see a lot of evidence of the destruction caused by the storm.  There were holes in the "fence" on the Corniche (it's not literally a fence, but I'm not sure what to call it and I can't really describe it in words, other than it's a border between the Corniche - beach walkway - and the road).  Even though the sandstorm is over the winds are still terrible (this is one time I wish I wore a sheylah - head covering; I am sick of my hair blowing everywher) and there is a fine layer of sand just about everywhere.  Disgusting. I am tired of eating it!

OK back to our trip to Dubai.  We stayed at the Intercon!!  We needed some luxury!  The room was fabulous.  Since I am an Ambassador Member we got a free room upgrade.  We only had to pay 1350AED for a room that costs 2700AED!  It was fabulous!  Wonderful view overlooking the city.  We could see the Burj in the distance.  It was beautiful when the sun was setting.  Unfortunately my camera didn't do it much justice, but it was stunning! 

When we checked into the hotel there was this really, really tall man outside greeting.  I mean really, really tall.  He was at least 1 foot and 1/2, if not more, taller than me!  I wanted to get my picture taken with him, but my camera was in my bag which was still in the car. Bummer:(  I shook his hand and couldn't help but be fascinated by the size of his hand.  It was huge!  Maybe the width of both of my hands!  He was very friendly and allowed many people to take his picture.  Just wish I had my camera because by the time I got checked in and got my bag he was gone.  We lounged in the hotel for a while and then ventured out to find something to eat. 

Driving in Dubai is always an adventure.  Even with a GPS we can never find what we're looking for.  We drove around for almost 2 hours before we found the restaurant we were looking for.  We ate at this super fancy seafood restaurant.  It was delicious!  I had a fabulous coral salad, stuffed rainbow sea bass, and an autumn spring roll for desert.  Yummy!!  We would definitely go back.  While at the restaurant we got a wonderful view of the aquarium and the fireworks that were being set off because of the Dubai Shopping Festival (DSF).  After dinner we walked along the Corniche for a while and then headed back to the hotel. 

Trips with Cassie are so much fun!  I laugh so much:)  At one point when we were trying to get to the Corniche, I thought she said "wifes (I know not a word, but that's what I thought she said) in the roundabout" when she really said "lights in the roundabout".  Both are strange, but wifes in the roundabout is weirder (is that a word, or is it more weird??).  Anyway I thought we were going to get trapped in the roundabout because of the lights and we missed our "exit" and had to go around again.  We were cracking up because we may have actually ended up as wifes in the roundabout as we drove around and around waiting for our future husbands to resuce us!!!  Hillarious!  OK, maybe you had to be there, but we were hysterical. 

We made it back to the hotel and enjoyed the room and shower.  The shower was fabulous!  I could have stayed in the shower forever:)  I did take a picture of that, but someone thinks I go crazy with bathroom pictures (Amy!!).  The following morning started with a wonderful breakfast at the Intercon buffet!  That was one of the major reasons we chose to stay at the Intercon.  We know the breakfast buffet is to die for.  Then we went to the Dubai Mall.  I didn't buy a single thing, even though it's the DSF.  I couldn't find anything that I absolutely needed or even really wanted.  I guess that's a good thing, but I was looking for shoes and a new purse.  I am not a shopper and I don't like spending huge amounts of money so maybe the Dubai Mall isn't the place for me to shop.  Other than the fact that during the DSF there are huge sales.  I wanted to go to Global Village, but struck out again.  It doesn't open until 4:00 and we needed to head back to Al Ain so we could get ready for the following week at school.  Hopefully I will get there before it closes for the year (end of Feb.).  I'll just have to make sure to make that happen.  So that was my trip to Dubai.  A fun filled 1/2 weekend that was muchly needed!

School this week has been pretty good.  I had another observation on Tuesday.  It didn't go as good as the first one.  First of all it was in the afternoon and that's always worse, then there was the fact that I was coming in right after having my morning group so there was no time for me to set up and prepare.  I hated for Andrea to see that, but what could I do?  It's something I have to deal with every Tuesday.  I don't like it, but since I don't have my own room it's a reality.  Other than that she said it was good.  She liked the lesson and the group activity, so I'm pleased about that.

نهيت مع اللغة العربية (newhetwo ma'a alloograh ala'arabeeah - I am finished with the Arabic language).  She introduced verbs today, but not "finished" so I tried this one on my own.  I tried making it feminine, personal, and past tense following the rules she gave me, but Google translator says it's "forbidden".  I tried.  So today was my last "formal class."  Not exactly sure what this means.  I asked Najwa on Monday if she would consider continuing my classes for the next year so I could work on meeting my goal and be ready to take a language proficiency test next year.   She said that she was working on material for a speaking course and to give her time.  Then today she said I was "finished with formal classes", but I could always come back, and that "if there were another class" .  What am I supposed to make of those?  Plus she gave me homework!!!  Yes, homework on the last class.  Strange.  She told me to work with the verbs; make them femimine, past tense, and personal and that we would go over them when I was ready.  So I'll work with the verbs and let her know when I've accomplished what she wants me to do.  I just wish I knew what her plans were.  Because if she isn't able to offer another course I need to sign up for one.  I guess if she doesn't get back to me soon I'll have to ask her again. 

A funny thing happened in class today.  I was writing the English translation of a phrase and I started to write in Arabic; well not using the Arabic script but from right to left!!  Oh my gosh!  I couldn't believe it.  I didn't know what to do.  I stared at the word I wrote (I) on the right side of the paper and didn't know how to continue.  She laughed at me and said that was a good thing!  I am now thinking Arabic!

One more day and then it's the weekend:)

No comments:

Post a Comment