Sunday, February 6, 2011

Air Show

The Al Ain Air Show was last weekend.  Cassie and I went on Friday afternoon.  The price to enter the Air Show was 40AED, so we decided to park and watch from a parking lot instead of going in.  There were a lot of people doing the same thing.  Plus tons of people in the desert.  If I had a better car we may have tried to drive in the desert!  Yeah right!   There was a car stuck that reminded me of when Dad tried to drive the van on the beach!!  There was no way I was going to attempt driving in the desert!  The Air Show was pretty neat.  There were all types of planes performing aerobatics and stunts.  I especially liked the last performance that we saw.   There were 8 stealth bombers (I think; those are the really quiet ones that you can't hear until they pass??), whatever they were they did really good.  They started out in a formation and did some stunts and then they split off.  Two made a big heart while the others did something else.  It was amazing to see them do the bottom of the heart.  It looked like they were going to fly right into each other, but of course they didn't!  We had a good time and left before the crowds.  I didn't want to get stuck in traffic with these impatient drivers.

After the air show we went to the Hilton for dinner and ate at Paco's.  I had a chimichanga.  It was good, but definitely not Burrito Brothers!!!  Oh, how I miss Burrito Brothers!

Saturday was spent doing lesson plans.  I spent a good portion of the day on the Internet trying to find activities and lessons to teach animal adaptations (camouflage, hibernation, and migration).  Those are some big words, and concepts for English language learners.  I am going to have to get the Arabic for those words to help them grasp the concept in English.  They aren't in my Arabic/English Dictionary so I'll ask at school tomorrow.  We're going to do some sorting, watch a PowerPoint presentation, do motions for each one, and play a camouflage game.  Hopefully by the end of the unit they'll get the concepts.

The strangest thing happened with my Arabic teacher.  I am not going to dwell on this, but it's got to be mentioned.  On Wed. (my last class) she gave me a list of verbs and told me to work on them and when I finished I could come over and she would check them and we could talk about them.  She also said that I was welcome at her house anytime, for tea, to chat, or to play ping-pong with her son!  I thought things ended very well.  Well, I was quite wrong.  On Thurs she sent me an email telling me that she wasn't going to be able to offer a speaking course and she ended her email with "goodbye".  I emailed her back and thanked her for letting me know and asked if I could still come and work  on the verbs.  She replied "sorry".  So, that's that.  Not sure what happened, or what made her change her mind.  But, I'm thinking that I misinterpreted her kindness, and hoping that she didn't intentionally lie to me.  I don't think I'll ever get an explanation.   So, I have found a class that starts in March.  I am going to try to sign up for that one because I have to continue to learn this language.

No comments:

Post a Comment