Friday, February 25, 2011

Another Week

So, let's see.... What's been going on this week. 

Well I believe I am finally over my cold.  I still have a little cough, but not much.  I didn't end up having to take a sick day either!  That's great because I really really didn't want to have to go to the hospital and go through all the steps.

Testing.  I can't get away from testing even 1/2 way around the world.  The EMSA is in March and I've got to do test prep.  It's so frustratingly difficult.  The amount of English is unbelievable!  My faculty head is really pushing test prep and she even got some grade 3 test prep materials from Canada that she wants me to use. Yeah, like my girls can read and answer questions based on Canadian grade 3 students.  So, I went and found some ESL reading comprehension stuff.  A lot better.  They still need a lot of assistance reading it and comprehending, but it's better than actual grade 3 material.  What in the world was she thinking?! 

I went to register for Arabic classes starting in March and I discovered that I'm between levels.  I had conversation with the Arabic teacher over the phone and from our short conversation she thinks I am between a level 2 and 3.  Not sure how I could be considered a level 2 when all level 1 did was the alphabet and I am way beyond that.  I mean I am writing full sentences and paragraphs and reading.  Not that I'm understanding what I'm reading, but I'm reading.  I kind of think I'm beyond that, but I didn't get to tell her all I know or show her what I've been doing so we'll just go with that for now.  I went to Alliance Fraincaise and was told that I could sit in the first week and see what I think.  I will go and talk to the teacher and show her what I've been working on, and hopefully get a better evaluation.  The thing is Alliance Fraincaise only has a level 2 class now.  The level 3 class won't happen until May and level 4 (which I think I may be, or at least between a  level 3 and 4) won't start until August.  That's a lot of waiting.  So, do I just go through the class and consider it a review, find another place/teacher, or just wait until Sept. when I come back?  The issue with signing up for the class is that it would be an expensive review (1500dhs).  If I don't sign up though I am likely to lose it all.  Decisions, decisions.

I decided not to buy a car; I'm going to go to Bangkok instead!  After discussing the car issue with Susan I have decided that the amount that I'm paying for a rental car (2200dhs/month), even though it's ridiculously expensive, is for convience.  I won't have to worry about it in the summer when I'm back home in America.  I won't have to worry about trying to sell it when I leave next August.  I won't have to worry about getting it fixed if I ever get in an accident.  I won't have to worry about getting insurance (that's included in the monthly rental price).  So, the money that I have been saving to buy a used car has been sent home to pay off college loans and is being put towards a trip to Bangkok in March.

Winter is over:(  It's been in the mid to upper 80s lately.  It's getting hot!  I am not ready for the heat.  But at least I won't be in Abu Dhabi where it is super humid.  It will be hot here in Al Ain, but not nearly as humid.

I guess that's about all here.  I know; not too terribly exciting.  But, that's pretty much my week.

No comments:

Post a Comment