Friday, February 18, 2011

انا مريضة (ana mareeda - I am sick)

Not much to tell this week.  It was a short week due to Prophet Mohammed's (PBUH - peace be upon him) birthday.  Everyone writes PBUH after his name; some kind of respect.  So we had Thursday off.  It's a good thing too because I am sick.  This cold finally hit me.  I went to school on Wednesday even though I probably shouldn't have.  It's just such a hassle to stay home.  I would have had to go to the hospital (they don't have doctors here), wait forever, get a note, and then go somewhere else to get it authenticated.  I didn't want to bother with that so I went to school.  I didn't have much of a voice at all, but other than that I felt fine.  The girls were actually pretty good when I explained to them that I was sick and couldn't talk.  They were quiet and listened!  Maybe I should be sick all the time!!!  No, it's really not worth it:)

Here's an actual conversation that I had with a student on Tuesday:
Shouq - هل انت مريضة ابلا (hal ante mareeda, abla? -  Are you sick, teacher?)
Me - نعم (na'am - yes)
Shouq - go     الى بيتك (go ela baytooke - go to your home)
Me -لا  (la - no), who would teach you?
Shouq - We play!

So, was Shouq concerned because I was sick, or did she just want to play??!  That's the question:)  They would probably literally have played because when an LT is sick they don't get a sub and MAYBE an Arabic teacher would fill in.  And if an Arabic teacher did fill in she would probably let them play.

If I am not better tomorrow I will be going to the hospital and I will be taking Sunday off of work.  So, I have lesson plans to do today.

Still trying to figure out this mess with Najwa.  She's hurt, I'm hurt but we're really not getting anywhere.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you're sick! Get better soon!
    I read your other posts...isn't it wonderful to find nice Western things in the middle of the other side of the world? I just went to Costco and it keeps my spirits up! Take care....!

    ReplyDelete