Sunday, July 31, 2011

First Weekend Home

What a great weekend!  It's so good to be home and to spend time with family.  I have missed them!

Friday 7/29

Oh my gosh!  What a long long long day!  My flight left Dublin at 10:00 am.  I left the hotel at 7:00.  The weird thing about leaving Dublin and heading to the States is that I went through immigration and customs in Dublin.  I was very confused.  I even had to ask in Chicago to make sure I really didn't have to go through immigration.  It was a long process in Dublin, but I'm glad it was done in Dublin instead of in Chicago.  It was weird hearing the immigration lady say "Welcome Home" when I was in Dublin. I wasn't quite sure how to answer that, since I wasn't home.  I couldn't say it's good to be back, because I wasn't back.  Oh well.  I got the hardest part of the trip done at the beginning.  The flight was long, but no problems at all.  I was able to get bulkhead seating; it wasn't as good as exit row seating but it had more room than regular seating.  I didn't have to pay any excess baggage fees this time around, so that's good.  The 8 hour flight lasted FOREVER!  I think I may have slept for 1/2 an hour.  I arrived in Chicago at 12:40 pm (6:40 pm Dublin time), and headed to my gate since I didn't have to go through immigration.  I got bulkhead seating again for the little commuter flight to Detroit.  The flight left at 2:30 Chicago time (3:30 Detroit time) and I arrived in Detroit early, a little before 4:30. 

Lugging my carryon duffel bag and my laptop I made my way to baggage claim.  My checked baggage was supposed to be checked directly to Detroit from Dublin.  I get to the baggage claim area and I see my Mom.  It was soooooo good to see her!  She was reading and I just watched her.  I couldn't believe she was there.  I mean I knew she was coming to get me, but still seeing her was unbelieveable.  It's been a long time since I've seen her and it was a great site!  She looked up and I said "right in front of you" and she looked around and saw me.  She started crying.  I was surprised that I didn't cry.  It was great to be enveloped in her hug.  Just comforting and welcoming.  We hugged and talked for a while and then I went to collect my luggage.  Unfortuantely it wasn't there.  I had to go the AA office and find out where my luggage was.  My luggage was put on the later flight to Detroit; the flight was scheduled to arrive at 5:40.  I could either wait for the luggage or they would deliver it my parents' house between 9 and midnight.  I didn't want to wait so I told them to deliver it.  My mom and I grabbed my carryon luggage and headed outside to meet my Dad and get in the car.  When I saw my Dad I grabbed him and hugged him, with my bag in hand.  It was great to see my Dad smiling and waiting for me.  We loaded the car and headed to Wendy's so I could get a Frosty (one of the things on my list that I have to have when I'm home).  After Wendy's we went to Mark and Nancy's for dinner.

When we got to Mark and Nancy's I saw Mason-man in the window.  Man is he getting big!  I walked up the porch and saw Alexa and Mark.  Alexa very politely said HI to me, but she didn't know who I was.  It was a little depressing.  It didn't take her that long to figure it out though.  Mason, on the other hand, truly has no idea who I am.  Although he will loudly talk to me on the computer, but seeing me in person was just totally different.  As soon as Alexa figured out who I was, she gave me a hug and told me that she loved me and missed me.  I began feeling better.  She just warmed my heart.  When I walked in the house I saw that Nancy had made a sign for me in Arabic.  She wrote some pretty good Arabic, the only thing is I had no idea what it said!!  She wrote "we missed you" but I couldn't read that.  It didn't look like what I know as "missed."  I'm glad she was able to translate for me.  Now that Alexa knew who I was, she couldn't stay away.  I had to sit by her for dinner (pizza with real ham; a real Hawaiian pizza, fruit salad, and a green salad).  Amy arrived part way through dinner.  It was great to see her and celebrate her birthday with her!  The first family dinner and birthday celebration I have been part of for almost a year.  It was great!  After dinner Alexa and I played for a bit in her room.  She kept telling me that she loved me and that she missed me!  What a sweetheart.   I was able to break away for a bit and give out souveniors and then we looked at pictures of my trip to Dublin.

Sign Nancy made for me
 After pictures I was exhausted so we headed home so I could sleep.  We got home around 8:30 and I saw my cats!  They remembered me!  Chloe greeted me at the door and didn't run away.  She's the shy one.  She sniffed my hand and then let me pick her up.  Tigger figured it out quickly and kept rubbing on me.  She stayed near me all night prior to my early bedtime.  Mom and Amy volunteered to stay up for the luggage, so I could go to bed at 9:00.  Tigger slept with me all night.  She has never done that before.  I guess she missed me.

Saturday 7/30

I was up at 5:00 am (10:00 am Dublin time).  Way too early, but I was still adjusting to the different time zone.  Although I was up at 5:00 I didn't really get up until 7:00.  I kept trying to go back to sleep.  When I finally made it upstairs I was surprised to see that I didn't have any luggage.  My luggage didn't end up arriving until 11:00 am.  Very frustrating, I needed my luggage so I could shower and put on clean clothes.  Dad made breakfast this morning; blueberry pancakes and BACON!  Breakfast was delicious!  The bacon was amazingly crisp and real pork.  Dad did a great job making breakfast.

My plans for the day included going to see Harry Potter, out to dinner with the entire family to celebrate Amy's birthday, and then back to my parents' house for cake.  Amy and Mom went to Harry Potter with me and Dad went to see Cowboy's and Aliens.  Harry Potter was great.  Kinda sad that it's over.

Family dinner; What a great bunch of people

Dinner was at On the Border, a Mexican restaurant in Novi.  It was delicious Mexican food; ok not Burrito Brothers, but good nonetheless.  It was spicy and the melty cheese was wonderful, but the best part of the dinner was being with my family.  Everyone was there: Mom, Dad, Amy, Mark, Nancy, Alexa, Mason, Ann, and Harry.  My whole family!  I have missed this.  Alexa spent a good portion of the night on my lap and I loved it.  I've missed too much.  We cleaned our plates and paid the bills.  I read the bill wrong, forgot about the tax that they have here and didn't read that part so I underpaid.  Quite embarrassing.  Once the bill was straightened out we headed back to Mom and Dad's for cake.  It was a wonderful chaotic time, although I was exhausted.  I really wasn't into the visiting.  As soon as everyone left, 8:30pm, I went to bed.

Sunday 7/31

I slept a bit longer this morning, I didn't wake up until 6:00.  I hope to get back on EST soon.  Breakfast was coffee, cereal with cold milk, and a blueberry muffin.  Another good breakfast.  I know cereal doesn't sound that good, but when you haven't had cereal or milk in 11 1/2 months it's a good breakfast! 

Plans for today included going over to Ann's so we could go shopping at Long Tall Sally, and then back to Mom and Dad's as Mark, Nancy, and the kids were coming over to go swimming. 

Driving to Ann's was different.  Lights and left turns.  No honking, no swerving, no flashing of lights; it was quite a pleasant drive!  Although, I must admit I was a bit nervous.   Driving for 6 months in a country that doesn't have a lot of lights and only allows left turns at lights, it was a bit nerve wracking.  I made it safely though, and I had a very successful shopping trip.  I bought few long skirts and a couple of tops to go with them.  Everything was on clearance as well, so that's good.  I also got to take a nice walk with Ann through the woods at a park near her house.  It was nice to be outside walking with my sister! 

The evening was fun.  Swimming and playing with Alexa is always fun.  Amy and Nancy came too.  I am loving the family time!!

The little fish jumping in the pool






Reading with Alexa after swimming
79 degrees at 9:54 pm.  What a difference!  And I'm lovin' it!!

Mason-Man is a goofball!

No comments:

Post a Comment