Sunday, September 18, 2011

لا ماء - No Water

I'm not sure if I have explained the water situation at my school yet or not.  I guess to "inconsistent" is a good word for it.  Some days we have some, and then there are other days when we have none.  Not a very sanitary situation if you ask me, but I'm not in charge here.  I just can't imagine children going to school without water in the States.  And, I don't just mean drinking water!! 

Today marked the beginning of the actual school year.  The girls had to stay at school until 2:00, unlike last week when they got to leave at 1:00.  At 1:50 the dismissal bell rang!  I was so not ready for this.  I had just gotten the girls started on their math assignment and was giving stickers.  The girls weren't ready either and when that happens things get chaotic.  They threw their sticker card at me, grabbed their stuff, and ran out of the room.  I wasn't even going to try to fight this battle. 

Why the 10 minute early dismissal?  I'm thinking Salema just pushed the button early.  It happens sometimes, but granted never 10 minutes early (unless of course it's the end of break).  I was headed back from the bathroom when Alice tells me that Ms. Salama (assistant principal) told everyone to go home because there was no water!  When Ms. Salama tells you to go home, you don't argue.  I wasn't about to tell her that I just came from the bathroom and flushed the toilet and washed my hands with a good amount of water!  I just grabbed my stuff and left!

So, I must ask, why today?  Why was it ok to have school all last week without water, but today it's not?  I'm not even going to mention all the times last year that we didn't have water, that's way in the past.  But, what changed?

The teachers' lounge was very quiet when I went in at breakfast/lunch time today.  No wonder, all the LTs weren't there!!  Just kidding.  I think the Arabic teachers realized they made a huge mistake and they weren't talking to us.  Maybe I should say I "hope" the Arabic teachers realized they made a huge mistake.  I grabbed my lunch, filled up my water bottle, and quietly left the room.  I did find out that they changed their mind and if you pay for the breakfast you can eat in the room.  I don't pay for the breakfast anymore so that still excludes me.  Not that I would eat in there if I did pay for it.  I'm just sick of it. 

This teaching 2 grade levels is going to take a lot of time to get used to.  I need to come up with a way to stay organized in the classroom.  Unfortunately that probably means I will have to buy something.  It's like I need 2 desks; one for 3rd grade and one for 4th grade.  I have the 2 cabinets in the closet, but I need to organize what I'm using each day in the classroom so I don't always have to be running back to the closet and getting what I need.  I'm super organized so I'll come up with something! 

1 comment:

  1. We'd love to eat lunch with you but you know how noisy things are at meals here! So for a week I've been wondering how school is going. How things are with the water and in the teacher's lounge?

    ReplyDelete