Monday, November 1, 2010

Birthday in the UAE

Today is my birthday and although it is different not being with friends in NC, or family, I have made friends here who are helping to make this day special for me!

The girls knew it was my birthday today and they have been asking me about it for the past week.  I'm actually glad it's over with so they won't ask me anymore.  "Happy birthday today, Miss?"  Everyday for a week. 

Oh the gifts!  They are so different from gifts that I have gotten from students in the past.  I got a lot of jewelry!  And those of you who really know me know that I don't do a lot of jewelry.  I got a necklace with a big flower on it (too big for my taste), one with black and red beads (that one is kind of nice but very heavy), and a diamond necklace and earrings (that's more my style:).  It's very nice, I was actually looking at something similar in the store and thought about buying it.  It's very simple yet elegant.  I love it and I can't believe that it came from a student.  I also got some perfume (Chanel), a watch (diamond studded, but I don't know if they're real diamonds or not) and a huge heart ring.  I will definitely be wearing all the jewelry so the kids see that I have it on, but some of it is just not for me.  It's the thought that counts and I was truly surprised at the gifts.  I also got some more traditional gifts; things that I would have gotten from students back home.  I got a few hand made cards!  Those are precious:)  I got a box full of candy (I don't need it, but it's chocoloate:), some stickers, and a liter of Pepsi.  Yes, a liter of Pepsi.  OK that one is weird, but I'll put it in the fridge and drink it anyway.

So that being said, I got all the gifts and then succeeded in making 3 girls cry today.  Yeah not the best birthday present, but the afternoon was rough.  I am sick of it.  I am tired of them listening when they want to and doing whatever they want to.  So I decided to make the ones that weren't listening go back and sit at their table for the rest of the day.  They also got no stickers.  That's what made them cry.  I know 2 of them will be better tomorrow because they are usually very good students, but the third one I'm not sure.  I had 10 girls out of 26 in my 3/1 class that were listening all day and not yelling at each other.  Many of the girls that weren't listening said "I sorry, Miss", over and over  but I wasn't taking it today.  They constantly tell me sorry, but they continue in their misbehavior.  Maybe things will be different tomorrow.

So that's my birthday.  I talked to family members yesterday and even this morning, which was still last night in the US.  It was kind of interesting to talk to Amy on my birthday, but it wasn't my birthday yet.  I get to celebrate my birthday for 32 hours!  How many people can say that?

1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday, Sara! My birthday was the day after I flew to Japan, so I was jetlagged and at workshops all day. I'm glad you got presents--and nice ones, too, apparently! Keep writing: it's so interesting!

    ReplyDelete