Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Pre-National Day Celebrations

Although National Day isn't until Thursday (we are off Thursday, so we're celebrating it on Wednesday), our morning assemblies are filled with skits, songs, and dancing.  The girls are getting pulled from class to practice their performace for tomorrow's big show.  And just about everywhere you look you can see red, green, black, and white.  And chaos reigns in the classroom (even more so than usual; it's like the week before Christmas break).

Sunday during morning assembly some boys from a local boy's school came and did a performance using swords and sticks.  It was really neat.  They did a great job twirling them and tossing them back and forth.  They were very coordinated.  There was even a little sword fight!  Of course no one got hurt, but you could hear the swords clanging.  I couldn't beleive they were using real swords.  They had them trained well!  We also had a group of middle school girls come and do an aerobic routine.  I was amazed as I watched them jump on and off their little step thing in time with the music.  Not only were they jumping on and off they were sharing the step with another person and miraculously no toes got stepped on (as far as I could see).  Then the girls went on a little parade around the building.  They were singing the National Anthem as they walked.  We didn't walk outside of the school, just around the inside, so it was kind of weird.  No one really saw.  Oh well, it took up time!  The entire assembly lasted for one full period (40 minutes), so I only had to teach 5 periods instead of 6.  Unfortunately I had 3/2 in the morning so I missed a period with the class I like.  I wish I would have missed a period of 3/1.

Monday was a pretty normal day actually.  A group of kindergarteners (boys and girls) came and presented something about the different emirates.  I think they were talking about the sheikhs because they had a picture of the sheikh on their crown.  I was able to hear the names of the different emirates, but that was all I got out of their presenation.  Other than the fact that the little kindergarteners memorized an awful lot!  They did a wonderful job!  A few girls did a song and swayed to the song, but that was it.  I had 3/1 so why would we miss a class today?

From what I understand tomorrow is just a free day.  The girls come to school and the assembly is full of all the different presentations that they've been preparing the last 2 weeks.  It should be interesting to see.  After they assembly they just play.  Can't wait to see that!  Oh yes I can!  Structure Please!  I believe we get out of school at 1:00 tomorrow.  Or I should say the girls get out at 1:00; I have to stay until 2:00.  No big deal though.  I have tons of things that I need to do in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment