Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

It certainly doesn't feel like Thanksgiving.  Maybe it's because it's 85 and sunny, or because I had to work, or because this country doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving.  Most likely it's a combination of all three.  I will be celebrating Thanksgiving tomorrow, when everyone at home is going shopping to try to get the best Black Friday deals!  I am glad that I don't have to deal with that aspect of Thanksgiving!  I am going to a friend's house for Thanksgiving dinner after church.  It will be nice to have a home-cooked meal.  I am not exactly sure what's on the menu, but I know there will be turkey! 

I had a very quiet week.  Nothing too exciting going on.  Getting back into the routine of going to work was difficult, but it always is after a break.  The week was a relatively normal one, other than the fact that we're getting ready for National Day (12/2).  Green, black, red, and white everywhere (the colors of the flag).  Our  morning assemblies are now filled with a group of girls dancing (usually in flag dresses), waving flags, throwing balloons (they love balloons!), and letting their hair down.  Oh yeah there's more Quran reading, reading of papers/reports about the UAE (which I have no idea what they're saying, but they sound important!), and skits about being an Emirati.  The girls love to say "I love the UAE" and "Emirates of life".  Today the LTs got called up on the stage and asked some questions.  As we walked up to the stage we asked each other if anyone knew about this.  Evidently no one had any idea!  We were first asked "How are you?" to which we all replied "Fine, thank you" that's the only response to that question that they really understand.  We were then asked to say something about the UAE.  We all gave a response about how nice and welocming this country is and how we enjoy living here.  A teacher handed us a bag of goodies (a UAE bracelet and some chocolate) and told us that we were going to play a question and answer game.   Oh no, now I'm really going to embarrass myself because I don't know a lot of trivia about this country.  The questions were just riddles, not trivia!  Good thing too.  Not that they were any easier.  Q - "What has legs and goes in your ear?"  A - sound.  We asked for an explanation on that one, but didn't get one.  Q - "What is something you eat with, but don't eat?" A - a fork.  Easy one.  Q - "What has teeth but doesn't eat?" A - a comb.  Another easy one.  There were a few that didn't get translated and 1 that I didn't understand even after the translation.  We got a round of applause and a lot of laughter from the girls and then headed off the stage.

The next guests were Mickey and  Minnie Mouse!  All the way from Florida!  I think the LTs were more impressed with Mickey and Minnie than some of the girls were.  Mickey and Minnie joined a group of 4th and 5th graders in a dance.  It was pretty fun to watch.  I took some pictures, but I won't put them on the Internet.   Sorry.  You'll just have to look at my actual pictures when I return in July.

Sunday a few of my students will be putting on a skit for the assembly.  They are going to be doing a quiz show with UAE trivia.  We didn't have a lot of warning so they only got to practice for 2 days, but they're excited.  We are also going to be decorating our door and classroom for a contest.  I told the girls to bring in UAE stuff to decorate and from what I hear they will go all out.  I'm a little scared!

All of this makes me wonder what would happen if schools were in session July 4th.  How would US public schools celebrate Independence Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment