Sunday, October 24, 2010

Better day!

Since I write about the times when I'm feeling sad, I figured I should also write about the times when I am feeling good.  Today was a good day!  I prayed for God's peace and for Him to take away my sadness and He did.  He gave me a very positive day at school and at home!  Praise God!  I know I seem to flucuate a lot in my emotions, but I am experiencing a lot and it is quite overwhelming.

School was very good.  The girls are getting better and we were even able to have a little discussion about different types of weather.  Amazing!  We have been working on weather for a couple of weeks and I think they are actually getting it now.  They know sunny, cloudy, windy, and snowy.  The girls tell me "snowy in America, not Emirate."  We are working on stormy, raining, hailing and sandstorm.  For some reason sandstorm seems to be one of the hardest, with hailing being difficult as well.  I would have thought that sandstorm would be easy for them to understand since they probably experience it a lot.  Granted I haven't experienced one since I've been here but I've only been in the desert for 1 month.  Maybe they occur later. 

I am even making some progress with my 3/2 group in math.  I think they are finally understanding place value!  We have only been working on that since school started.  But, place value is a difficult concept to grasp and learning it in a completely new and different language must make it even harder.  We will see what happens tomorrow when I ask them to show me what they know.

After school I did some prep work for school.  I know I'm not supposed to bring it home but we're making a book in science and I wanted to have the pages cut out so all they have to do is color and write.  It makes it a lot easier and faster.  I was also working on my observation logs for the principal.  I have to turn in assessments tomorrow and I was told that my observation checklists and notes would work so I was making sure they were up to date.  After I got all that done Susan and I studied Arabic.  I got a headache!  We were only working for about 1/2 an hour on a couple of letters combined with short and long vowel sounds, but it's hard.  Susan kindly informed me that when I write I write from left to right not right to left.  Wow!  That is hard!  It is so natural to write left to right.  I had a very difficult time writing the two letters we learned combined with the vowels (the letters themselves were pretty easy) when I tried to write from right to left.  It was much easier going from left to right.  Practice, practice, practice. 

Now it is quarter till 11 and it's time for bed.  I'm up late for a school night, but I wanted to make sure I recorded this day since it was such a complete difference from the last few days.  God is good!  I pray that this state of mind and these feelings continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment