Friday, October 22, 2010

I am an Expat

Eight months ago I had never heard that word, let alone imagined that I would ever be one.  Six months ago only a few people knew of my thoughts about teaching overseas.  Four months ago I was saying good-bye to friends in NC as I had resigned from Balfour and was headed to MI for the summer before leaving for Abu Dhabi.  Two months ago I was on a plane headed towards the UAE.   How quickly my life has changed.

So, I am an expat living in the UAE.  I have learned a lot about the Middle East and the Islamic culture.  Yet, I know there is so much more to learn.  I have seen wonderful sites, that I never dreamed I would be able to see.  I have met wonderful people and made great friends.  I am learning to live in a culture that is so different from the culture that I lived in for 34 years.  That is what makes it so hard.  It's hard to unlearn what I've experienced about organization, structure, communication, and education.  Not sure I should unlearn it though.  It's always there and it's effecting how I live here.  I have to stop saying "In America...." or "At Balfour....".  I am not in America and I am definitely not at Balfour, and I have to adjust to being here.

The food, the people, the sights, the sounds, and the smells are all so different.  They are different, but yet they are becoming natural.  I am getting used to seeing camels in the back of trucks!  Never thought I would see that, or say that I am getting used to seeing that!  The call to prayer is becoming so regular that I almost know when to expect it.  Even though it changes daily it's always around the same time.  I even think something is wrong when I don't hear.  It's just that I've gotten so used to it that sometimes I don't hear it.  The smell of incense, even though it makes me want to throw up, is becoming expected.  I expect it when I walk past the staff room.  I expect it so much that I hold my breath when I walk past.  I am waiting for the day when that becomes so natural that I don't smell it anymore.  Not sure if that will ever happen though!  The women in their abayah's and completely covered are no longer a shock.  They are so graceful as they walk; it's almost like they are floating.  I no longer am shocked when I see a completely covered woman walking near me in the mall.  At first it was kind of scary to just see this black thing coming towards you.  No face, no feet, just a black robe.  Kind of unnerving.  Maybe, just maybe, the UAE is becoming like home?

To help myself adjust to being here I have signed up for Arabic classes.  Language is such an important part of culture and since I am living here I need to try to learn the language.  I know this is going to be quite a challenge, but I believe it is essential for living in a foreign country.  I want to be able to communicate better and understand some of what the girls are saying. 

I need to make sure that I get out and see this wonderful country that I am living in.  I have made it a plan to spend at least one day a week exploring Al Ain and the surrounding emirates.  This is a wonderful experience and I want to be able to say that I saw and did everything that there was to do. 

Life as an expat is difficult, but it is a great experience. 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like your week was better. How did things go in the classroom? What are you exploring this weekend?

    ReplyDelete