Sunday, October 3, 2010

Sunday

Today was the day.  It was like I started all over.  I had my plan, and by golly I stuck to it.  I told the girls that things were going to be different today.  There would be no more yelling.  I would teach when they were quiet.  I was not going to talk/yell over them.  I also told them that I was only going to teach the ones that wanted to learn.  If they chose to talk then I would take the few that were quiet and listening to a back table and teach them.  That is exactly what I had to do and they did not like it one bit.  I told them that if they were good Sunday-Wednesday that we would have fun on Thursday.  This will not be for all of the girls, just the ones that listen and work.

In the morning they were actually pretty good until I wanted to teach math.  Most of the girls were still talking while a few were seated on the floor waiting for me to start.   I took the few back to a table and began to teach them about 10s and 1s.  We used base 10 blocks and made different numbers.  While I was teaching this group many of the girls wanted to come and join, but I told them they could join next time when they can show me that they are ready to learn when I am ready to teach.  They did not like this and continued to try to join the circle.  I just ignored them and eventually they went away.  There was a group on the floor talking and a few at their desks working on handwriting.  When I handed out the sheet for them to work on they all returned to their desks and went to work!  Amazing!  I didn't have to say anything; I just gave them the sheet and they went.  That is how it's supposed to work!!

The afternoon actually went better.  I had 3/2 in the afternoon and that's usually a better group anyway.  I just had a few girls that didn't want to do anything and I let them.  I made sure they knew that they would not be participating on Thursday if they chose not to work and listen. 

Teaching just a few goes against everything I have ever been taught, but I am not going to waste my time, or theirs, trying to yell over students to get them to listen.  Hopefully they will want to listen later on.  They really didn't like it today when I left them out.  If they weren't listening to me I would ignore them when they asked to get water, paper, or go to the bathroom. 

I had a good start to the new week.  I pray that it will continue and it wasn't just because it was Sunday.  I know kids are always better on the first day of the school week.  They are still a little tired from the weekend.  I will continue this tomorrow and hope and pray that I get the same, if not better, results.

I started working on getting my Emirates National ID card today.  What a long process.  I took my passport to the ID office and they did something that took like 3 hours and gave me a piece of paper that I have to take to another office that just happened to be closed when I got the paper back.  What timing:(  While I was waiting I went to the apartment and started cleaning.  I vacuumed, swept, washed dishes, and mopped the bathrooms and kitchen.  Lots of work.  I am getting ready to move in.   Appliances and living room set come on Tuesday.

It's been a long day and it's finally time for dinner.  Room service just arrived!

1 comment: