Friday, August 20, 2010

Emirates Palace

Today was the day!  I walked from the Intercontinenal Hotel to the Emirates Palace.  It was hot, but definitely not as hot as it has been.  Well, at least not as humid.  It is very uncommon for people to walk in this city so when a taxi driver sees someone walking they will honk and try to get their business.  I had to turn down many taxis today since I wanted to walk and it's not that far. 

Emirates Palace
So as I get up close to the gate of the palace I start to take a picture and the security guard tells me that I can't.  He says it's 1,000 Euros to take a picture!  That is unbelievable, but what can I do?!  So I put my camera away and he began talking to me about the Palace.  It's where the Sheikh's come when they are in Abu Dhabi.  Famous people from America also come there.  He couldn't tell me who though.  He was very kind and offered to take me to Egypt in October when he goes "Inshallah" (God willing).  While we were talking Mr. Abdullah came out and told me he was from Al Ain.  Eventually Amir, the security guard, told me to take the picture that he was only kidding about it being 1,000 Euros.  It's 1,000 Euros to stay there, taking a picture is free!  He jokingly told me that to take a picture with Mr. Abdullah it would be 1,000,000 Euros!!He told me that I could come back from 10-10 any day besides Friday and tour.  They allow tours, but only if I'm dressed appropriately (long skirt and long sleeves or an abbayh.  Since I don't have an abbayah, but I do have long skirts I will definitely wear that instead, and next time I won't walk!!
Mr. Abdullah

No comments:

Post a Comment