Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Exploring

The day started with a bus ride to get a medical test.  There were 4 groups every 2 hours starting at 6am; I went at 10.  I am glad I didn't have to get up and miss breakfast:)  The medical test was very fast and easy.  They took blood and did a chest X-ray.  The X-ray was weird, but everything went very smooth.  A lot better than what I heard from the people that went at 6.  Some of them were still there when we arrived at 10!  Yikes that was a lot of waiting for them. 
After the medical test I had lunch with Cassandra and Lakeesha.  We ate at the hotel restaurant where we get a 25% discount but lunch still cost us about 100 dihrams which is about $25.  They charge for the water.  It comes in a bottle so it's good water, but still.  It's 8 dihrams for a bottle of water.  Pop is more than that.  They also add a 10% tourism fee, they don't call it taxes here, to every bill.  So things may be priced cheaply, but you have to figure that tourism "fee" in.  I have to stop eating out, but it's hard when I'm in a hotel and don't have acces to a kitchen.   I need to go get food that I can store in the fridge in the room that doesn't require cooking otherwise I'm going to go broke just by eating out.
I went in the pool today!  It was amazing!   The water was so nice and refreshing it didn't seem so hot outside.  It was nice to just sit in the pool and chat with other teachers.
Around 5, Lakeesha, Cassandra, and I decided to take a walk.  Not a great idea. It is soooo HOT.  We just wanted to see some sights and get some pictures.  We got some nice picutres, but it's really HOT.  We were going to go to the Emirates Palace after Iftar (end of Ramadaan fasting for the day), but we ended up meeting with some other teachers and went out to dinner.  We went with teachers from last year, so it was nice to hear their experience.
I found out that I'm going to be teaching in Al Ain like I wanted!  Some people didn't get where they wanted and were a bit upset.  I am glad I got Al Ain, but I would have taken anywhere!  Now I have to try to find a place, but I still don't know where I'll be teaching in Al Ain so that makes it kind of hard, but I would like to know what's available.
Tomorrow - police check sometime????  Not sure if it's 9am-3pm or 9pm-3am.  I can't believe we still don't know what time. 
Off to bed a little earlier tonight, it's only 10:54 (2:54 your time!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment