Sunday, August 29, 2010

Long weekend

My weekend just got lengthened!  Teachers that are placed in Abu Dhabi had to go to a meeting today, while teachers placed in Al Ain had the day off due to not being in Al Ain yet.  This would normally be a good thing, but I am so ready to get started.  It is kind of weird to say that I'm bored.  I mean I'm in Abu Dhabi of all places and I'm bored.  One can only go to the mall so many times!!

I went to a souk today.  A souk is like an outdoor market or street fair, only this one was indoors.  This souk specialized in perfumes, incense, fabrics, abayahs, and fabrics.  I saw a rug that was really nice that I would like for my apartment.  It was brown and it had some Arabic writing on it.  I asked the guy if he knew what it said, but he didn't.  I told Cassandra that I could just make up something poetic when people ask what it says.  The guy then said that it was for Muslims only.  I thought he meant that only Muslims could buy it, but he meant that the writing was verses from the Quran.  I decided that I didn't want it.  The incense was really strong and not pleasant smelling either.  You could tell that the perfume was cheap from the overpowering scent of the souk.  There were some places that I couldn't even walk down due to the smell.  When you go to a souk, the first rule is that you never pay full price for something.  The shop owners expect you to haggle with them over pricing.  They try all sorts of tactics to get you in their shop and to get you to buy something.  Susan was looking for a scarf and the owner kept telling her that everything looked beautiful on her.  He even asked her to name a price when the original price was too high, but she declined saying that she needed to save money for a car and furniture; which is true.

My abayah wasn't ready today.  Well, it will be ready at midnight, but we're not going back.  Cassandra and I will have to make a trip tomorrow.  Oh well, it will give me something to do; although it is going back to a mall.  Time to check the tourist book and find the museums and stuff.  Something intersting for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment