Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Tuesday

No creative title today.  I just couldn't think of one.

Well, the Abu Dhabi people have left.  The ones that will be staying in a hotel apartment left this afternoon.  It was kind of sad, especially since I didn't even get to say goodbye to Lakisha since she left while I was getting my hair done:(  I have her number so we will definitely stay in touch and I'm still in Abu Dhabi, even though she's not at the InterContinental anymore. 

I found out that I will most likely be moving to a hotel in Al Ain on Thursday!  Yeah!!  That means that I should be able to start shopping and getting my apartment ready.  Fun times!!  I also have orientation tomorrow morning.  I have been wishing for this since the people who are staying in Abu Dhabi have had orientation all week and have been getting a lot of great resources and information about their schools.  It's time for us Al Ain folk to be getting some information and resources as well.  Plus it will give me something do and focus my mind on.

I went to the bank today to set up my online banking.  Not that I have any money in my account, but at least it's set up for when I do have money.  So when Cassandra and I got to the bank there was a sign on the door; "ladies use back entrance".  I felt like I was in the Civil War time period when blacks had to use a different entrance.  Didn't make me feel really good.  We go in the bank and there is one teller, one customer service representative, and 4 chairs.  I don't know what the men's side looked like, but I'm sure there was more than 1 teller.  Plus the room must have been bigger because the bank was a very decent sized bank.  We waited in line for the teller and I was very pleased that she spoke English; I wasn't sure how I was going to communicate online banking to her.  She told us that we had to wait for the customer service rep.  There were 2 other people waiting for her.  When it was my turn I told her what I wanted and she clearly understood!  No language issues at the bank!  They have some really intense security measures in place over here.  I got an envelope with a security code in it and my password.  The security code changes all the time.  Weird.  You don't get to choose your username or password it's all given in sealed envelopes.  Same thing with my password for my debit card.  I filled out my form and waited for Cassandra.  While Cassandra was filling out her form an Emirati (local) woman began talking to the customer service rep and interrupted the service Cassandra was in the middle of getting.  That's just the way things are here.  The Emirati's don't wait their turn, they just do what they want when they want.  It's just something that we're going to have to get used to, along with the discrimination.  They can make it sound and look good like on the bus with priority seating, but having to use a different entrance is not very positive.

Went looking for a car today, not that I have the money or the residency visa that is required to get a car; it was just nice to look.  They are very expensive; at least the new ones.  I will not be getting a new car.  I am leaning heavily towards leasing one, it will just be so much easier to not have to worry about a car when I leave.  If I can get by without a car, that would be great as well. 

I ordered my first delivery meal in Abu Dhabi.  Again, I was concerned about the language but the recorded message said "to continue in English press 2".  I ordered my pizza with pepperoni on it.  Despite not eating pork here you can get whatever you want on your pizza; ham and sausage included.  Kind of weird!  I thought that they would have different toppings due to the culture.  Chicken is a big pizza topping here though. 

Excited for tomorrow!  I hope that I will get a lot of useful information!

2 comments:

  1. You got pepperoni? What about ham and pineapple? Maybe you can get your sausage fix from the pizzas! Not only are you across the world, you've time warped into another era! I'm a little jealous of your extended free time. You definitely want to get your apartment and classroom ready, but you're getting paid to be a tourist and relax (when not in meetings!) That sounds pretty good! Keep us updated! Oh and Dave wants to know your Skype handle. You can fb me or better yet him that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy, sounds like pizza is a slice of home? Does it taste the same as ours here?

    ReplyDelete