Friday, September 10, 2010

Al Ain Evangelical Church

Cassandra and I made it to church this morning.  Last week we couldn't figure out where it was.  When I asked this week about the church behind the Oasis Hospital everyone (the coinceirge and taxi driver) wanted to tell me about St. Mary's Catholic Church.  That could have been an option, but that's not the one that we had heard about.  We just told the taxi driver to take us to Oasis Hospital.  He drove us there and to a fence in the back.  We weren't sure what to do.  All the buildings looked old and not at all church like.  We saw a western lady walking toward the taxi and we decided to ask her.  She told us to follow her and led us through the fence to a door which was evidently the church.  The 9 am service was very small.  I don't think I will be going back to that service.  They have an 11 as well.  St. Mary's and the Evangelical Church are the only churches in Al Ain so I don't have much of a choice.  Today was communion and a message on friendship and the meaning of true friends.  It was a good message and we got invited to the pastor's house for lunch after the second service. 

Lunch was great!  It was so nice to get out and meet some other people.  We talked a lot about what brought us here and how things are going with ADEC.  They gave us some good tips on furniture shopping and driving.  Those are always handy tips!!!  They said we could call them whenever we needed to.  That is so nice!  They know what it is like and are willing to help when things get difficult.  It was wonderful to go to someone's house and have a meal.  Made me feel more like I belong here and that I'm living here instead of just being a tourist.

I got my printer USB cable so I can start planning printing things to do on the first few days of school.

We planned our trip to Dubai!!!  I am so excited.  Leaving early tomorrow morning and we probably won't be back till late.  The last bus leaves for Al Ain at midnight.  Not sure if we'll stay that late, but we have our agenda!

1 comment:

  1. Yay, Sara!!! :) I'm so glad that things are finally starting to feel settled. I'm also glad that you have made new friends. Those, I feel, are more important than anything, especially when you're in another part of the world! I'm happy for you! Take care! ~Candace

    ReplyDelete