Thursday, September 9, 2010

Shopping and Zoo

I did some more shopping today.  I went to put a deposit down for my bed!!  I am so excited!  I love it;)  I have a queen (they call it a king) size pillowtop mattress just like I had in NC.  So comfortable.  I had to pay a bit more for it, but I know it's a good mattress and a fabulous length for me!  I also bought a printer.  It's a printer, scanner, copier and it's very nice.  The only thing is when I went to hook it up I thought that I was going to have to take it back.  There was no USB to connect it to the computer.  That would do me no good. I had Cassandra come and check just to make sure I wasn't missing something and she verified that it was missing that USB cord.  So I put it all back in the box to take back to LuLu.  I planned on doing that tomorrow.  I knew Natalie had bought a printer so I thought I would  mention it to her.  She told me that you have to buy the USB cable to connect it to your computer.  How strange!!  I am glad that I asked her instead of taking it back to LuLu.  There would have been a big communication problem.  I'm not sure how I would have gotten my point across.  Lots of gesturing and pointing.  There is definitely more of a language barrier here than in Abu Dhabi.  I am going to have to learn the language.  I plan on taking classes, but not until after I get somewhat settled.  By settled I mean in my apartment and have an idea of what to teach when.  That probably won't happen until end of October early November.  I am sure I will learn some when I start teaching, but I want to learn the practical stuff like shopping and directions.  I can do a nice conversation (Hi my name is Sara.  What is your name.  How are you?  Fine thank you - Asalam a lakum issmee Sara.  Shuismik?  Kheif Halik?  Zane.)  That really isn't going to get me anywhere. 

I went to the zoo tonight.  Due to Ramadan the zoo is closed during the day but opens from 9-1:30.  Natalie, Cassandra, and I got there at 8:40.  It is very different being at the zoo at night.  Mostly because it's dark!!  I had thought that the zoo would really be lit up, but it's  not.  Kind of scary.  I wondered what would happen if an animal got out and we couldn't see it.  Turns out I didn't have to worry about that because all the animals are behind very thick glass surrounded by an electric fence.  Yeah it could have happened, but quite unlikely.  The zoo is very small.  They had lots of monkeys, lions, birds, and some nocturnal animals.  They have a reptile house, but we opted not to go in there!  From what I hear there is a huge python that can swallow a deer in the reptile house.  Glad I didn't see that!!!  The best part of the zoo was the bird show.  There were birds of prey flying over my head!!  It was incredible!  Falcons, owls, vultures, and hawks free flying from trainer to trainer and over the audience.  Amazing!  I would go back to see that.  I had never seen those birds up close before.  They are really graceful, and to see their wingspan is truly increidble.  I would definitely go back to see that! 

training falcon

No comments:

Post a Comment