Monday, September 6, 2010

Lots of information

Orientation started again today.   I was really excited to go; thinking that I would be getting information about my school.  That didn't happen.  Instead I got a whole bunch of information about living in Al Ain.  I am sure that a lot of it will be quite useful, but it's really hard to pay attention when they're just reading things.  A better way would have been to have all that in a folder with contact numbers and websites so we could resesarch on our own.  I got information about  hospitals, gyms, drivers licenses, where to get furniture, legal typists to translate documents, nannies (I don't need one of those but I still got the information), laundry services... and the list goes on.  Lots to learn and lots to process. 

It is so difficult trying to live in a foreign country.  First of all I need my passport for just about everything from getting a drivers license to getting electricity turned on.  I don't have my passport right now since they are still working on getting us residency visas.  As soon as that gets done all of these places are going to get bombarded with expats trying to get services.  Aaaaahhhh!  Frustrating!

I met someone from my school today!!  I happened to be sitting right next to her in orientation!  She is going to live in Hili as well.  She is in group 2 so I didn't meet her before today.  It's great to know that I'm not the only new person going to Ammorriyah Primary School.

Susan and I hired a driver today.  Neither of us want to get a car so we're going to try this for a while.  We found a taxi driver that knows where he's going, drives safely, and speaks really good English.  So we asked him if he would pick us up in the morning from our apartment and take us to school.  Susan and I don't teach at the same school, but supposedly we're close by.  He agreed and gave us his name and number.  This will be a lot cheaper than getting a car.  Plus I won't have to worry about the crazy drivers in this country.  I'm going to try it and see if it works.  If I decide that I really need a car I'll get one.  I can't get one for 3 months anyway.  That's the waiting period.  Not sure why though.

Went furniture shopping today.  I found some nice stuff, but I have to go back and measure the space so I know what will fit.  Susan, Natalie and I are going back tomorrow after orientation.  The only problem with a lot of the furniture here is that it's really low.  I want a couch with a high back so I will have to pay more.  I haven't seen a bed that isn't like right on the floor.  I would literally fall into bed.  Not good.  I miss my bed:(  I just have to keep telling myself it's only for 2 years and if I decide I want to stay longer I can get something better. 

We are supposed to get paid before Eid.  Eid is Wednesday and it's the end of Ramadan!!!!  Yeah!  I can eat and drink in public!  They compare Christmas to Eid.  Children get presents and there's lots of celebrations.  It should be a fun time!  So I should get paid tomorrow!  Not holding my breath though:)

1 comment:

  1. Sara, we sure have gotten ourselves into something, haven't we? :) I know what you mean about being on the floor all the time--I sleep on a futon about 5 inches off the floor but otherwise I'm sitting on a straw mat in front of a low coffee table-type thing. Tomorrow my couch comes and I will be up! Hang in there....and your blog is *fascinating*. I hope you get paid soon, too!!!

    ReplyDelete