Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Hump Day!

WoooHooo!!!  It is hump day!  The week is almost over; just 2 more days to go!  I will make it through this week.  Today was better than yesterday, so that's good.  Still not what I expect or what I'm used to, but definitely better than yesterday.  No tears today, so that's a good thing.  If tomorrow is better than today we're on the right track.  I think I would even settle for tomorrow being as good as today, just not worse.  I do not like yelling and I like to have fun, but unfortunately I can't have fun with these girls right now.  Hopefully they will get there.  There was no turning their back on me today, but there was still a lot of talking especially in my afternoon class.  That group seems to be worse.  They just think they can talk all the time no matter what I say or what I expect.  That needs to change.  I would love to say that it will change, but I have heard stories that this type of behavior goes on all year.  I can definitely say that I am glad that the other teachers are nice and friendly because that makes it a lot easier to go to work.  If the other teachers were distancing themselves and segregating the LTs, like at some schools, I don't think I could take it.  Praise God for that! 

Things are so different here.  In NC I would get to school early and leave late.  You just don't do that here.  It is something that I have to get used to.  It's a good thing, but very different.  Plus we have been told to leave work at work.  Very hard.  That means I shouldn't take home anything.  It's ok because it will be there tomorrow.  It's just a totally new mindset.  I arrive at school at 7:45 and school starts at 8:30.  I don't have to be there until 8:00, but I need some time to get ready and make sure my key works.  School gets out at 2:00 and I leave at 2:15.  I can leave at 2:00, but I need time to clean up.  So I am home by 2:30 or 2:45.  It's amazing!  It's good too, because I need to get out of there.

Every morning starts with a morning assembly.  This is so amazing to watch.  I have no idea what they're saying, but I feel inspired!  The assembly is led by someone who is yelling something to the girls and they all yell/chant something back.  They say a prayer, sing their national anthem, and do some exercises.  The girls are so well behaved during assembly it's hard to believe they're the same girls that come to my class and don't listen to a word I say. 

I was asked by a parent today why her daughter wasn't doing any science.  I had to explain to this parent that school just started and we're not ready to do science yet.  We have been doing English and math because that doesn't really involve me teaching a lesson.  There is no way I could teach a science lesson right now.  She understood that we weren't there yet, so that's good.  No complaint, just wondering.

The weather was absolutely gorgeous today!  It was even cooler outside than it was in my classroom for part of the day.  I was able to eat dinner outside tonight as well.  Very nice breeze and cooler temperatures.  I am sure that if I hadn't been here since August I would think it was terribly hot, but I definitely noticed a pleasant difference today!  Yeah, fall is coming.  Well not fall actually, just not as hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment