Sunday, September 19, 2010

New week and Emirati men

The work week has started and I have survived my first working Sunday.  Yes, it was weird getting up and going to school, but I will get used to it. 

I am still really enjoying the school and the girls.  Although they are very chatty.  I need to work on how to keep them quiet.  I think one of the problems is that they don't understand what I want them to do, so they talk.  That's not the biggest problem though; just as a whole the women in this culutre are very chatty.  No problem with that, but it can become a problem when I'm trying to teach.  Stickers seem to work, but I am running out.  This country just doesn't believe in large quantities of reward stickers.  Hopefully I can get some sent to me.  One little girl asked for 2 stickers!!!  I would only give her 1 until she finished her picture, then she got the other one.  They are just used to getting whatever they want when they want.  The parents are always in the stores buying toys.  That's what happens when you have a lot of money.

My day was kind of crazy.  I was told that I was going to have 3/2 in the morning and 3/1 in the afternoon.  Well I started with 3/2 and got about 2 periods done and someone came and got them; they were supposed to be having Arabic in the morning and English in the afternoon.  So I got 3/1 for a little more than 1 period then I had a break.  Then, I got 3/2 back in the afternoon.  You would think that I would have gotten a lot more accomplished with that group, but I didn't get that much more.  We did read a story and draw a picture, but the majority of my time was spent on getting them to be quiet and sit down.  I really have to come up with a solution and keep practicing that so they know they are supposed to be quiet and stay in their seat. 

My classroom is very small.  I have 5 octagonal tables with 5 students sitting at each table and there isn't a lot of room in between the tables.  I have to make room for a rug so we can gather for a story, morning meeting, closing circle, and shared writing among other things.  It's just a little tight, but hopefully I can make it work.  I am quite good at organizing!  My classroom is also upstairs.  I do not like this, but at least I have my own classroom.  I have to go up and down at least 3 times a day.  Not good for my knees.  Plus it's really  hot outside so I can't hold on to the metal railing.  I'm afraid to ask to switch; afraid that they will tell me that if I want a room downstairs I will have to do 1st or 2nd grade since those classrooms are downstairs.  I'll survive.  The room is also very very hot.  There are 2 window AC units, but I don't think 1 works.  There are also 2 ceiling fans, all of which I keep running all day and the door open.  At least the 3rd graders don't run out of the classroom!

Their names are so hard.  I feel really bad when I can't say their name right.  A name is a very important part of a person and I really want to get it right, but they are dificult.  I keep practicing and I got Jawaher today (she spells it Waher, but there is definitely a J sound at the beginning).  Not knowing the kids names also makes it hard for me to correct them because it's always pointing and telling them to stop.  Not good.

Emirati men.  I made a pretty big mistake today.  I was sitting outside waiting for my taxi to take me to school and an Emirati man asked to sit next to me.  Well, I was being friendly so I said yes.  I never should have done that.  He also shouldn't have even talked to me; that's part of their culture that the men don't approach women.  But he did and me being the friendly person that I am told him he could sit there.  So we were talking about where I was from and the states that he has visited and other such small talk when he invited me to lunch after work.  Another no-no on both our parts.  Sometimes I am so naive and I don't think.  This could get me in trouble.  Well, I accepted his invitation, again just trying to be friendly and meet people.  He, on the other hand, was thinking about more than just friends.  So, I met him for lunch.  Luckily Cassie and Yasmin were in the pub and he invited them to join us.  Things were feeling a little strange when he was talking about loaning me money, getting me a car, and taking me to his ranch to see his camels (which I admit would be great, but it can't be done).  He ended up giving me a crystal necklace.  I tried not to accept telling him that he should give it to his wife or daughter.  I really wanted to remind him that he had a wife and shouldn't be giving me things let alone talking to me.  He said they had many and didn't need it (another issue with having too much money).  I really tried to give it back, but he wouldn't take it.  Then I thought about another issue in this culture is that you're supposed to take whatever someone gives you or they are really offended.  I could tell that he was offended so I took it.  I shouldn't have, but what culture am I supposed to follow here?  It's so hard, but I am learning how to survive in a totally different culture.  Hopefully I won't see him again, but if I do I will have to tell him that I can't go anywhere with him.  Maybe he won't be back because he was very disappointed when he found out that I don't smoke or drink beer.  Who knows.  Live and learn and adjust to the culture and hopefully I won't get myself in trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment